Stock Predator builds - bypass governor?

Hobby87

I'm looking to get a predator built for a 212 stock class (out of the box stock), must retain governor, no modifications. Now i've never looked at the mechanics of the governor, but is there a way to retain it, yet bypass it for RPM/performance gains? If there are preferred builders for this type of boxstock can you let me know?

I make a living reading and interpreting federal rules and regulations, so when the only engine rule says "stock predator 212 with governor in place", your not going to see an opportunity to interpret this to gain an advantage?

I make a living reading and interpreting federal rules and regulations, so when the only engine rule says "stock predator 212 with governor in place", your not going to see an opportunity to interpret this to gain an advantage?
No where does it say .
If it doesn't say you can't doesn't mean you can . Or something along that line .
I know your more then aware of that line .

We run the Box Stock class. 5500 rpm on stand rule. We can take governor off, tie it back or run the governor. I am running the governor on mine. I have a tie wrap through half of the coils on the governor spring. On the stand I am at around 5400. On the track I was at 4800 to 4900. Last few races I w as at 4600 to 4700. I got on the road here by the house the other day. Ran kart wide open. The governor came in a little above 4900 but never has on the track. I am thinking I am Getting all I can out of the motor. I did disconnect the governor at one point and made a linkage that went fron the butterfly to the throttle arm. I had trouble keeping the rpm under 5500 on the stand like that so I went back to the governor.

These engines show no performance gain over 4900 RPM’s with stock airbox and muffler. It’s a waste of time. You’re better off focusing that time and energy in tires and setup.

Ah!! But there are things to do to get it to that max RPM much quicker!! You know, take the lazy out of it!!

Most tracks have an rpm rule usually 5500 or so. You can tune the gov to get the 5500. What track are you going to?

So basically whatever size track i am on i want t 4900 or so to be the high rpm on my tach. I have been looking for someone to explain how they set their governor for maximum horsepower. I think the DNQ series have the 5500 rpm rule on the stand and the motor has to fully surge on the stand. Do they just gear so they can turn 4900 on the track? Still not clear on a lot of this stuff.

So basically whatever size track i am on i want t 4900 or so to be the high rpm on my tach. I have been looking for someone to explain how they set their governor for maximum horsepower. I think the DNQ series have the 5500 rpm rule on the stand and the motor has to fully surge on the stand. Do they just gear so they can turn 4900 on the track? Still not clear on a lot of this stuff.
You can adjust the governor where the arm sits on the shaft in the block or you can simply screw the rpm/idle screw outwards. Every once in a while I have had to tie two coils on the spring together to get more.

Yes that is what I did. My first motor i backed out on the throttle stop screw only. I was actually over 5500 on the stand. I tried the linkage thing from the butterfly to the throttle arm with the governor disconnected Couldn't adjust it like that.
I now have half the spring tie wrapped. I find it hard to keep the .ax rpm on the stand consistent for some reason. Apparently the butterfly has to move only a fraction to make a few hundred rpm difference. I have been trying to use the accelerator stop to adjust mine.

Take the spring off the adjustment screw and stretch it. That will put more pressure on the screw to keep it from backing out. most likely you’re screwing the screw out on a standard stretched spring and there’s not enough tension on that spring to keep that screw where it belongs. I do that all the time.

Back