Stock Predator Class - Safety

nickdice

I want to run a Predator Claimer class. Stock intake, exhaust and tank (probably vented). I would allow anyone to do whatever they wanted to the inside of the motor. Likely just governor removal. Engine could be claimed for $130.

Many are telling me that the flywheel won't hold up, but I'm not really finding any evidence of that. What other problems might I run into.

Thanks for the help.....

you sure you typed what you thought ?

any mods to the inside with no governor ?
sounds like trouble ahead .
even with a claim i'm mod'ing it .

Last edited:
On the surface it looks like an ok deal but what will happen is that after a while you'll start seeing guys nearly lapping the field. There are so many little tricks that can be done to these motors to free them up. The claim should keep things at a fairly even mark though. The trick is to rule the claim deal with an iron fist. Won't sell your motor? don't come back.
The flywheel deal is the part that concerns me. Just because you haven't seen a stock flywheel come apart doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'd allow an aftermarket flywheel which you could keep if you got claimed. Just be sure you give the buyer a stock flywheel when its time to sell.

I wouldn't give the stock flywheel back unless I knew it was new and never used. To many people like that rati tap tap with the air gun and not the torque wrench

I want to run a Predator Claimer class. Stock intake, exhaust and tank (probably vented). I would allow anyone to do whatever they wanted to the inside of the motor. Likely just governor removal. Engine could be claimed for $130.

Many are telling me that the flywheel won't hold up, but I'm not really finding any evidence of that. What other problems might I run into.

Thanks for the help.....

Probably should require the aftermarket billet flywheel. Since you're allowing internal modifications plus governor removed plus no mention of what you're allowed for carburetion you'll probably have guys testing the stock flywheel's endurance... particularly with inconsistent cheap manufacturing quality from the factory.

Sounds like the old Briggs "Stock Appearing" class we had when 4 cycle engines began to get popular. Wasn't long before that snowball went rolling downhill with too much momentum for anything except the laws of economics to stop it.

I’ve thought that a predator class where 1st swaps motors with last would be a good thing. Careful how much you do to it, because you’ll be racing against it next week....

With the rules you posted here your going to end up with a motor turning around 6,000 rpms. The flywheel is the same flywheel that was on the early clones. With over 10 years of running HF motors we have not had a flywheel explosion, but when we were running the blue motors we did fling some magnets off of the flywheel and the motors were turning around 5,500 rpms and they have not changed the way the magnets are mounted. I will also tell you that a $130 claim will not keep most from spending another 45 bucks for a cam and valve springs and that will get the motors close to 6,000 rpms. A true hemi box stock motor will only turn around 5,300 and a non hemi will turn around 5,500 rpms. A non hemi motor will not run with a hemi motor with out being cheated up. About a half horse difference with the hemi being the better motor. As for the fuel tank. These motors run very hot and will have no problem lighting off raw fuel. When we had karts get up side down the fuel cap came of in most cases and dumped fuel. As for the stock muffler like I said the run very hot and after a few races they we breaking off on the race track and you just can't order new mufflers. Take a look at the rules on my track page under the notes section. They have been working very well for us. In a true box stock class you will have to tech hard or they will quickly get out of hand.

Back