Stock predator rules

bullerman

Do most track mske their own Predator rules. We have four tracks that I can go to. All of their rules vary. I have suggested they all go to Southern Predator Group rules. Is this a good idea or could you give any suggestions. I know a lot of people gripe about having to buy the aluminum fly wheel but it is for safety. I know it does cost most than the motor but as much money as I have spent over the years 120.00 is not going to make much difference. What kind of rules does yor track use
Thanks

I think we probably run what you are referring to as the Southern Pure Stock Predator. Can remove governor, add top plate/fuel pump, chain guard, and a weenie pipe. Max RPM on the stand after the race is 5850 rpm. One local track made a billet flywheel optional, the rest don't allow it but I haven't ever seen anyone get checked for it in tech. It would probably be for the best if they required the billet flywheel.

The main issue with the Predator Class that I see is that this tends to be the "entry-level" adult class, but then tracks start putting up big money to win, which attracts teams with lots of resources and experience. Keep the money races away from Predator and you'll probably have a very competitive, fun and cheap class.

Some places also require you to run the same set of tires for a night, or a set of races.

Our 3 local tracks central Pa that are all with in 45 min of each other were smart enough to make up rules and all use the same which really helped the class grow quickly, only way to get them is go on there web-sites, with STOCK rule there is NO need for billet flywheel.

Thanks for the comments. I talked to the track owner here yesterday. He knows very little about go karts. There is a fellow here that races in the Predator class that is very familiar with predators. He would like to see all of the tracks with the same engine rules. Basically what he runs is a holy moses carb, Cl 3, cam, the 10.8 springs, pipe and muffler. Stock flywheel, top plate. This conforms to two of the tracks rules altohough one doesn't check anything that I am aware off. Basically everything else is stock. I believe everything would conform to Southern Predator Group rules. I figure it would cost somewhere around 300 to 350 to fix one up like he has which still is not bad. I agree with Pops90 about the driving, set up and tires.
I do see where some tracks have a gear rule. I have never ran one that did. Don't know how that would work on a short track. Haven't heard of the rpm on the stand. None of the tracks I ran out had a claim rule. Most of the tracks down here pay three places. They divide up the money that was put up in the class. Most of the tracks have a 20.00 entry fee. I could see putting up 10.00 or 15.00 to race and give trophies although I did like the chance of getting my money back for gas to the track. Gonna keep working on it. Good thing is the track owner is open for suggestions.

You can't just throw a cl3 cam in the engine, 10.8 springs, big pipe, and a Moses carb and expect your engine to work as good as the next guy. Especially if the other guy dialed the crank in to the cam. And what stroke is the crank? How far in the hole is the Piston? Don't get me wrong, I am on board with this predator thing but what you have described is exactly the road the clone went down. I don't get it. Once the governor is removed hello builders and a future 212 clone

We aren't even allowed to rejet the carburetor or change any internals. Sounds like another version of a clone to me. There is a lot to think about long term if you allow carb and cam changes. Just my opinion. Checking rpm on the stand is a flawed philosophy in my opinion but that is what is done around here.
Thanks for the comments. I talked to the track owner here yesterday. He knows very little about go karts. There is a fellow here that races in the Predator class that is very familiar with predators. He would like to see all of the tracks with the same engine rules. Basically what he runs is a holy moses carb, Cl 3, cam, the 10.8 springs, pipe and muffler. Stock flywheel, top plate. This conforms to two of the tracks rules altohough one doesn't check anything that I am aware off. Basically everything else is stock. I believe everything would conform to Southern Predator Group rules. I figure it would cost somewhere around 300 to 350 to fix one up like he has which still is not bad. I agree with Pops90 about the driving, set up and tires.
I do see where some tracks have a gear rule. I have never ran one that did. Don't know how that would work on a short track. Haven't heard of the rpm on the stand. None of the tracks I ran out had a claim rule. Most of the tracks down here pay three places. They divide up the money that was put up in the class. Most of the tracks have a 20.00 entry fee. I could see putting up 10.00 or 15.00 to race and give trophies although I did like the chance of getting my money back for gas to the track. Gonna keep working on it. Good thing is the track owner is open for suggestions.

I have read the stock predator for a bunch of different tracks. It seems everyone is different. I guess you make up your own rules for your track. If your motor is built to those rules you will be legal there but possibly won't be legal at another track. It is too bad wka or ikf doesn't have stock predator rules that everyone could run by. I guess they don't. I have never seen any. At least the old flat heads had a written set of rules we all could go by.

Let me add this. Some of the best racing I have ever saw was a 8 race series at one of the tracks I used to race. The track owner bought a bunch of predators from harbor freight. Brought them home took them out of the box and numbered each one of them. Before each race each driver drew a number and the track owner handed him that motor. He put it in his clutch on it put it on the kart and raced. The best and closest racing I have ever seen. Quiet too. I think they had eight different feature winners. It was a little trouble but well worth it.

You can't just throw a cl3 cam in the engine, 10.8 springs, big pipe, and a Moses carb and expect your engine to work as good as the next guy. Especially if the other guy dialed the crank in to the cam. And what stroke is the crank? How far in the hole is the Piston? Don't get me wrong, I am on board with this predator thing but what you have described is exactly the road the clone went down. I don't get it. Once the governor is removed hello builders and a future 212 clone
Can you make a suggestion on some rules. What rules do they run at your track? I would like to see a out of the box motor but that;s probably not going to happen. As far as I know a out of the box Predator has no cam profile. I think when they first started they had a .245 lift rule. I don't know. I just want to help the new track owner get some kind of rules in writing. Any suggestions appreciated.

Can you make a suggestion on some rules. What rules do they run at your track? I would like to see a out of the box motor but that;s probably not going to happen. As far as I know a out of the box Predator has no cam profile. I think when they first started they had a .245 lift rule. I don't know. I just want to help the new track owner get some kind of rules in writing. Any suggestions appreciated.
Go on www.pennscreekracewaypark.com and read predator rules, only way to keep cost as low as possible.

We race them here just like the rules that Ken posted a link to, the only difference is we have a $125.00 claim rule

As soon as you put a number/spec on something, it goes in the builder hands. At this point in time, the best way to control it is to have a track claimer rule. If one individual wins handily over the rest of the field ( two times be concerned, three times the track takes the engine and gives him another new engine ). Then have a tech who has taken several engines apart and has a general knowledge of what he should look for. That tech then makes the call on the confiscated engine. If the engine is legal it gets reassembled and auctioned off. Make sure you have a tech who has seen several and is honest.
I am available to answer any questions if anyone wants to discuss. It is working great for us.

Last edited:
https://www.slipperrockracewayinc.com/class-rules
Have them stick to that rule set and get the area tracks on board as well. That lets us run 3 or 4 different tracks in our area and is becoming one of the more competitive and fun classes to watch. So much in fact I’m building one for this season.
Key word "Your building" taking the governor out leaves the class wide open, right now in the class style we run here there are guys buying many engines and assembling them with hand picked, "pre wore", heat cycled, de-tentioned, etc.. parts and still falling within the rules, but it still has the gov intact and using the tracks tach it cant go above 5500 max.
Feel like Ive been here before, lets hope it dont take the same path
Me_zps97b5d718.jpg

Back