Stock Predator Valve Springs Question

do you really need to cut? i've run the 26# springs with a 356 cam and haven't needed to clearance the lifter pockets.....

Yep. The billet lifters probably have a fillet from the stem to the head that is hanging up. It's worse on the exhaust side. I was too put off to even investigate. My wife has been on my case for having spent too much time in the shop anyway!!

Does the .356 have a stock size base circle?

There's a difference of .035" from the face of the lifter to the stem on the billet lifter to a stock piece. I'm learning...

Nice picture, Al needs to add his "compression is the holy grail" caption to that:)

Lol... How much is too much? I honestly think compression can be too high in one of these. Compression can work against these engines when operating in broad rpm ranges. The motor has to work too hard to overcome the compression at lower rpm. But I've also read that alcohol's potential isn't realized until CR are 14:1 or higher.

Lol... How much is too much? I honestly think compression can be too high in one of these. Compression can work against these engines when operating in broad rpm ranges. The motor has to work too hard to overcome the compression at lower rpm. But I've also read that alcohol's potential isn't realized until CR are 14:1 or higher.
I think you will find that the rest of the world of automotive engineering will disagree with you.

From my experience, the only limiting factor on compression is the octane of the fuel.

"Alcohol's potential"? I'm wondering, you might want to change that to, "alcohols full potential".

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Guys, this statement I made is not true. In the bonehead move of the year I somehow grabbed the stock cam and started putting the motor together. When searching around my table where I took the engine apart looking for the tin bolts (yes, that's how far along I was) I noticed a cam with some big lobes on it. SMH I about passed out. So after trying it in the block I now have to cut lifter pockets to accommodate the .350 lift cam. I'm giving up on it for a few days and going to mourn the loss of a fair amount of work. I'll let you guys know what the spring looks like at .350 lift once I get that far. Sorry for the false info, hopefully nobody is paying attention to me anyway.
Hey what does he know, hes just a WELDER jk Brad. looks good. going to be doing one soon, all I weld these days is Aluminum. The OTC machines "mig" we have at work are finiky as hell. weld speed/ feed changes when room temp changes . they have people grinding out the seam welds on one part.. 0 porosity allowed.. good thing about these heads is they will fit in a lunchbox.. Government work approved.

Well I'm not really much of anything and I darn sure ain't the best welder or engine builder. But sure do love to do lots of things, including welding and engine building.

I'm still not gonna build a 20:1 go kart motor because it will run like crap. I know because someone very close to me did just that. Talk about a bogger. Too much compression to get around the track and work well in all rpm ranges. But Al, I will agree that more compression makes more power... To a point. All good man!!

I cut them on mine just to play it safe I also run the 356 cam
I use my spring pocket tool for Mods that I used on my flat heads.
the lifters do come very close either the stock or billet with this cam
as for 26 springs you should be fine with out cutting pockets
but if running dual you will have too.I also have taken the inner
spring out and runs just fine;)

I think you will find that the rest of the world of automotive engineering will disagree with you.

From my experience, the only limiting factor on compression is the octane of the fuel.

"Alcohol's potential"? I'm wondering, you might want to change that to, "alcohols full potential".

I agree on the too much compression on a single cylinder. ..now with more cylinders helping ...give me compression. ..

I agree on the too much compression on a single cylinder. ..now with more cylinders helping ...give me compression. ..
very interesting. And why would multiple cylinders like more compression than single cylinders?

very interesting. And why would multiple cylinders like more compression than single cylinders?

My thoughts.. a single cylinder uses momentum to push the piston up on the compression stroke..a multiple cylinder would have another cylinder "helping " in the process...Now , that's my thoughts...

and your thoughts would be right...the offsets of the crank for the individual cylinders would lend to pushing each other up during the compression phase....

and your thoughts would be right...the offsets of the crank for the individual cylinders would lend to pushing each other up during the compression phase....
then how do you explain the Rotax twin 250? Both cylinders fire at the same time. You know at one time F1 V8 engines had pairs of cylinders firing at the same time. The Harley Davidson twins don't fire 180° apart.

then how do you explain the Rotax twin 250? Both cylinders fire at the same time. You know at one time F1 V8 engines had pairs of cylinders firing at the same time. The Harley Davidson twins don't fire 180° apart.

I cant comment on those, I know nothing about them. I just have the idea in my head..may be wrong though. I haven't been able to make a noticeable power increase over 14 to 1 compression, but I may be doing something wrong.

I haven't been able to make a noticeable power increase over 14 to 1 compression, but I may be doing something wrong.
what octane fuel did you run with that 14–1 compression ratio? Did you try testing with a colder spark plug? Did you try a bigger jet? An EGT gauge might have told you something.

180* degrees helps with smoothness of engine. Balance factors.
Yankee motor cycle was same way twin fireing together. In 1970 we had a 100cc Yamaha twin with the crank turned so as to fire both cylinders at the same time it was called twindled. course all 2 stroke stuff.
Now triumph bsa and Norton, run both pistons too the top together but fire 180* apart . That's not going to help any with moving the piston up against a higher compression. They also benefit from higher compression.

what octane fuel did you run with that 14–1 compression ratio? Did you try testing with a colder spark plug? Did you try a bigger jet? An EGT gauge might have told you something.

It was ran on M5 methanol. I didn't relly try a lot of different heat range plugs, I did try different timing. It made great power.

Found this old thread and I saw the modifications to that head, I have never seen anyone modify a head like that to get higher compression but it makes since.

Back