Storage

flattop1

Dawg 89
I have my two best engines in storage . Long term
Drained oil and fuel , taped all the openings been spraying with fogging oil and rotate every now and then . Both builder engines untouched by me , since Ididn't want to disturb anything . (Unusual)
Today I decide I gotta look and see how they are fairing .
Pull the head clean no rust . That's promising.
Side over , not bad , as no rust on crank or cam gear . Side bearing is a bit dry and a hint of discoloration on the cam bearing shaft surface .
Clean that up with rag add a little oil , spray the internals with fogging oil. .
Back together . Happy Camper .
Only one issue a stripped chain guard bolt , apperantly it was bad before because it had some loctite thread maker type stuff on it .
Easy fix .

No . I thought later I should have sprayed them . Also the rings could probably use a oil re coat .
I'm just real glad it wasn't a rusty mess .

I didn’t touch my flathead in 5 years changed a diaphragm fired right up and runs with the best of them. Animal sat for 7 I’d say pulled the bowl cleaned it out fired right up and ran good until I blew a chain and over revved, then metal came out of the oil 🤦‍♂️. Oil drained fogged with race gas and marvel.

Build sheet says 2013 we ran it twice so similar time frame .
My animals I'm a little concerned though this gives me hope .

I mainly ran flatheads or yamahas not to great with animals, seems no matter how I fog it I get gel in my bowl so cleaning that out is second nature for me lol

Back