Storing for the winter

Flathead8

I know you drain the gas out, put the tires in a room temperature climate, anything else or more I may be missing?

Yea drain all fluids and spray into cylinder threw plug hole into the valves and onto piston. Turn crank over couple times and then spray in to the carb. Spray the pipe and whole thing with wd 40 then keep away from moisture.

Another thing that helps is to turn the engine (either flywheel or pto side of crank) back and forth once in a while to keep the rings from rusting to the cylinder. Always be sure to keep the engine at top dead center so that the valve springs are at their relaxed (installed height) state instead of being compressed while stored. Biggest thing is to keep it from moisture (condensation.) Be sure to keep it up off of a concrete floor. Big temperature swings will cause the metal to draw moisture from the air.

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Alittle off subject but when at the track the other night (very cold night) I noticed a guy starting him flathead and spraying something into the carb until it started to smoke and finally shut off. What was this and what is its purpose? Thanks

Probably spraying WD40 in the airhorn -- this would help lubricate the cylinder and valve seats to prevent rusting. Unfortunately, it doesn't do a thing to keep the tank, carb pick-up tubes, jet, and diaphragm from drying out. It will coat the sparkplug well though. :)

Probably spraying WD40 in the airhorn -- this would help lubricate the cylinder and valve seats to prevent rusting. Unfortunately, it doesn't do a thing to keep the tank, carb pick-up tubes, jet, and diaphragm from drying out. It will coat the sparkplug well though. :)

Thanks for the info! Was'nt sure what it was and what advantage there was to it! Thanks

Probably using a boat trick "fogging" it. Mercury makes it and I have seen some Illinois guys do it at the end of the year or engine swap.

Back