Storing tires

Rice188Jr

My 10 year old son and I have been learning a great deal together this summer and I've enjoyed watching him improve as I finally figured out how to get the chassis and tires in the ballpark for the track conditions... After spending the last few months working with our 3 sets of pinks and blues, I finally got them working for us and can swap around as needed for staggar and softness needs. Which brings me to my question...
What are some of the preferred methods of storing tires over the winter months to help preserve them for next spring? Also, any do's or don'ts will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

You want the tire to cure out. Therefore the tire needs to weather. I find it best to let it set outside and let nature work magic, although with maxxis it's not good for them to be in freezing temperatures because they will freeze an crack.so if I were you I would let them set outside until it gets pretty cold out and then out them in a temperature regulated room.
If you have any questions feel free to call.

Chop Cutz
Venom Juice
Porkchop,
(812)-447-3306

My 10 year old son and I have been learning a great deal together this summer and I've enjoyed watching him improve as I finally figured out how to get the chassis and tires in the ballpark for the track conditions... After spending the last few months working with our 3 sets of pinks and blues, I finally got them working for us and can swap around as needed for staggar and softness needs. Which brings me to my question...
What are some of the preferred methods of storing tires over the winter months to help preserve them for next spring? Also, any do's or don'ts will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Since you now have the tires how you want them, try to keep in a temp controlled environment the best you can, within reason. You do not want to set outside, or keep in trailer outside, try like a garage where it wont get too cold or too hot since we are having cooler weather.
Try to wipe a good prep every 2 weeks or so just to keep fresh.

Over the winter I keep them trash bagged in a temp controlled garage--never gets under 50 degrees---don't let them over winter in the trailer or where they can freeze--for that matter I don't leave them in the trailer ever--too much temp fluctuation(on a hot day it is probably 130 in the trailer, not good)----and yes wiped every couple weeks with a good conditioner. Glad you and your son had a good first year. John

Thank you for the replies. I keep my shop thermostat at about 55 degrees all winter when we're not out there so we should be good. I've been guilty of leaving them in the hot trailer (mainly because of the odor) and wasn't aware of the possibility of hurting them but did notice that I had to work them all pretty hard prep wise to get them where I was comfortable with the results. I wonder if that was due to the repeated day/night heat cycles for a week at a time?? Hmmm....

I store mine in the trailer all year. During the heat of the summer, I open the trailer door on hot days. I left them in the trailer last winter without any issues. Maybe it doesn't get cold enough to harm them here. I used to store in the garage but got tired of the odor creeping into the house. Also wipe them every couple of weeks as needed to keep conditioned.

Keep them in a temp. controlled environment.
If you don't have a lot of tires in your inventory, then I'd suggest just cleaning them well and putting them in black plastic trash bags. Get as much air out of the bag as possible and seal it up (think like keeping a loaf of bread fresh.)

I've got a heavy oil prep (Pink Panther Thick) that you can wipe on the tires before storing if you are trying to replenish oils in the tires and not wanting to soften them.
Give me a call at the shop if there's anything I can help you with.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you have any Tire Tuff or Tire Tuff Mint wipe a coat on them before you put them away. This will help keep the oils in the tire.

put them in a husky black garbage bag spray wd 40 on them and put them in you basement. if you don't store them they will get hard and could possibly start getting cracks not a good thing hope this helps.

Back