Straight up kart setup... Been away karting too long....

bildo

Straight up kart setup on oval... Been away karting too long....

Hey. I used to be a heavy member of this website a long time ago when I was racing karts. I have been off racing big cars for the last 10 years. I am now getting my son into Karting. Basically to start out I bought a cheap set up, it's a straight up apex chassis with a clone.

I'm not too familiar with straight up karts and it looks like this is been raced road course before. We will be running all ovals. It has a wide rear axle but it is bent. Can I use a shorter axle since we are running ovals? Thanks and advance for any help. I'm also looking for a rough scale numbers and what tire I should run. It will be an open Tire rule.

Thanks again.

Bill

yes a shorter axle would be fine. 1 1/4. need location for tires as it changes with classes and locale maxxis, maxxis el's , and burris
whoops
whoops; open tire, maxxis pinks 9.00's on right blues on left 5.00 and 6.00
jr or senior clss

I don't doubt they are.
Open tire you have to be prepared for anything pick one and learn it.
With a straight kart your at a disadvantage to start find a good locale tire guy.

What class and weight class will your son race? The reason why I ask is until say 300 pounds or so there shouldn't be much of a problem performance wise running a straight rail kart on the oval. The real problem will be the difficulty finding help with the kart at the track.

The smaller guys wont need the same cross weight or left side weight as bigger guys. Especially if you run larger tires on the right side...

Ok. It clone class and Not sure on weights yet but I believe its 275 or 300. It will be one heavy kart. Left side about 57 sound close? What about track width in the rear?
Thanks

Back