Straightening a 1" Axle with a Torch

BrianP

I have a 1" solid axle which is out about .020" TIR. The sprocket runs 12" from the end of the axle. I've read two articles about using a torch and am looking for some success stories and failure stories. Thanks

Torch heat removes some of the strength and hardness properties of the steel.
Getting heated in the proper place is problematic.

Can end up with numerous wobbles in different places.

.020 tir is not really that much.

Careful press work while cold (assuming it was bent cold) will yield better results, with better control.

When you use this method . The main thin is shrinking vs bending .
You want too shrink it .
IE: warm the spot that you want too change .
Then either let cool or wipe with wet rag .
This will draw it towards the cold side .
I have trued up , motorcycle mags , angle iron , and square tube this way as well as plate steel .
That said i do not disagree with 95 shaw one bit .

You may want to look up companies that straighten hydraulic rams. In my area I know of 2 places that do that, both are cable companies that deal with splicing large cable. Such a company will have very powerful presses and the dies to properly perform the task. For me, it is cheaper to buy a new axle.

Find an automotive machine shop with a crankshaft straightener. I straightened a few of ours on one where I used to work many, many years ago.

Like this one. Has everything you need to straighten your axle. They might even let you do it yourself.
1655220163673.png

Brian #89

Put a couple 2x4's on a hard surface 8" apart. Lay the axle so the bend is in between the boards and rotate it to find the high point then hit it with a big mallet. Ideally you want to bend it a little the other way then come back on it.

Last edited:
.020 TIR . Correct me if i am wrong .Isnt that . 010 . Off the center .
The low is . 010 and the high is . 010
Equalling . 020 tir

Can't speak with the same expertise as others who have offered up some outstanding ideas...but...speaking as something of a garage mechanic, I was taught many years ago to avoid putting heat to any metal especially with things racing related, as the heat will change the strength of the metal in the affected area making it prone to potential re-failure...with it being the rear axle in your situation, I think you would be much better off looking for a nice straight used one, just put a message out on here and some of the kart raving related pages on FB, almost guarantee something will turn up quickly....just a thought...

Yes, TIR would be X up plus X down. For me if you can see the wobble then it's .005" TIR or more. I try to get them from 0 to .003" the diameter of a human hair.

Honestly . Without knowing where it is out. Assuming a wheel end .
I would try the shrinking or sundogs method .
Is it a solid axle .
As a welder heat is only a slight concern , shrinking ; it doesn't need too be red hot . On propane tanks preheat was 250*

Last edited:
Back