strange format poblem.

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
Because of my eye sight problems I have to set the screen resolution at a very low setting, and still, with some sites, I have to blow up the screen. This seems to cause some minor problems with Bob’s layout. I didn’t have this problem before the crash.
The first post in any thread is formatted very narrow, (each line is very short, not full across the screen) yet every subsequent post is normal. If, while looking at the first post, if I zoom out, (Ctrl-thumb wheel back) the lines of the first post get longer, with smaller fonts, but then it’s hard for me to see. The more I zoom in, the shorter each line gets. Nothing is lost, but each line contains less text. Hard to explain. Anyone have any ideas?
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

It has a lot to do with it. Website code is like a big set of rules that are always being revised and browsers are a bunch of tracks that individualy choose when they will decide to adopt the new ones and stop allowing the old ones. It's a lot like the clone engines now. Internet explorer is the slowest to adopt new rules and a pain when it comes to web design.

All that said I am currently at work so I am also using IE but it is IE9 and recently updated. I would try updating your browser and it may very well take care of the problem.

Sometimes if you close your browser and restart it will resolve some issues. Also try restarting your computer.

It appears to have something to do with the 'width' of the area in which you can post a reply, verses the width of the area in which you post the origional. I just tested it on both a reply and a thread starting post and Al is correct about the line length.

I would guess it has to do with when 'CR' (carriage return like in an old typewriter) codes are automatically put in. I think bob would have to change automatic inserting of line ending 'CR' codes.

In the old days, I'd say someone has to make both initial posts and replies stop putting automatic CR's in at the end of each line. That way 'only' the writer's CR codes would control line length.

The code most closely resembling what Paul describes is called a line break. I looked at the code and both the first post and all subsequent posts use line breaks the same. I somewhat cheated by looking through the code briefly but I think it is the div class.

That is purely a guess based on a very quick look at a very long bit of code but the only difference I noticed is that the first post uses a differen't div class than the others. I don't have time to look at the css code to decide what the difference is.

Ok, once the "line break" which is automatically inserted depending on the width of the origional margin area, it's there for good even if the new 'reading' area is wider.

My guess is there is a software button that can be pushed to ignore "automatic line break" codes in the reading area.

Either don't automatically put them in and only let an actual Carriage Return or Enter Button being pushed insert a 'line break' or ... no that's what needs done, shut off inserting automatic 'line breaks'... I think ?

Ok, once the "line break" which is automatically inserted depending on the width of the origional margin area, it's there for good even if the new 'reading' area is wider.

My guess is there is a software button that can be pushed to ignore "automatic line break" codes in the reading area.

Either don't automatically put them in and only let an actual Carriage Return or Enter Button being pushed insert a 'line break' or ... no that's what needs done, shut off inserting automatic 'line breaks'... I think ?

In the original post there are two line breaks. One is after "crash." and one is after "ideas?". I looked at the code to verify. The rest of the lines do not terminate with a break but are left to "wrap" within the alloted area. In the case of this board the area is a div short for divison. The size of this div will be dependent on a few factors but the instruction will typically result in something like x% wide with a minum width of x pixels. Typically the height is left open so as it gets narrower the text can wrap more and become longer.

*There are also a lot of other things that can affect the size of a div like float and alignment that are responsible for positioning all of the parts of the page where they are. It doesn't take much to end up with a div floating over something or next to something and a senario like that affect everything else on the page. There is a lot going on and it's not as easy as something like a word document or writting on paper. In code everything I have typed after the asterix can be one line or you could hit enter after every word with the exact same result. Only if you insert the line break will it return. Everything else just wraps within the space defined by the div.

The problem is that the first post does not have a minimum width but all of the others do. I see it now. When you increase the resolution it is enlarging the text but not the div so it is trying to fit all of the text into the viewable width. I would imagine Bob will see this and fix it when he has a chance.

Bob, hope this saves you some time. I suspect that the problem is div class "content hasad". It may not have a min width but even if you set one in .css it would likely ignore it. I would use content_hasad because spaces in class names are not typically accepted. I didn't look at the .css so this is just a guess based on the html.

The advertising features that are in Vbulletin allows the placement of an ad or an image in the first post of each thread. That's why that space is clear on the right side of the first post.
This is a feature I plan on using.
If I disable the split screen view with the user info on the right, that would give more characters before wrapping, but I like the split screen.

Bob, hope this saves you some time. I suspect that the problem is div class "content hasad". It may not have a min width but even if you set one in .css it would likely ignore it. I would use content_hasad because spaces in class names are not typically accepted. I didn't look at the .css so this is just a guess based on the html.
Close, I ended up removing hasad and the space from the template. Just removing the space worked, but ended up breaking the formatting for the class "content" on the first post, which I'm thinking was already broken with "content hasad".
The ads still work fine, so I can live with it as long as nothing else is broken.

Back