stripped allen head , bearing holder, how to remove ?

flat head screw driver that is just wide enough to have to tap it in to wedge it in the head but not wide enough to touch the thread. tap/wedge it down in the head and unscrew.

I'd try a Torx bit first, if you're meaning the head of the bolt. If your meaning threads, there is a strong possibility you'll need to drill it.

Stripped Allen head bolt

I had a very similar problem this week getting a clamp off of frame with stripped allen head bolts. I picked 1/4 inch drill bit, drilled into head. When drill got through head to threads, head popped off and clamp loosened up. Did other one and clamp fell off. The threaded part of bolts that were left in 1/2 of clamp ,came out by hand. The drill bit I used was the same size as bolt shaft. Just go slow so you don't go past head of bolt. Hope this helps.

get a nut larger than the stripped allen head and weld it to thru the center,,, just get correct socket size of the nut and spin it out...it works most of the time,,,,

Thanks tried the screw driver , didnt work, so I drilled the head off what a pain, but it worked one more to go and it was the allen head its self ... will have to check with prowler for new bolts .. thanks

If you can.... either use a hacksaw or a small grinder and make a slot to use a flat screwdriver that fits snug in the slot and back it out. Its important to get it snug for the obvious reason.

get a nut larger than the stripped allen head and weld it to thru the center,,, just get correct socket size of the nut and spin it out...it works most of the time,,,,

Only do this in aluminum or cast iron because the weld will not stick. Also as soon as you are done welding, pour lots of water on the red hot nut. It will shrink the bolt enough to loosen it up. I have done this a lot of times. Works better than easy outs.

Here is a tip that i have used many times. Take some valve lapping compond and put some in the head of the cap screw and on your hex driver, then tap your hex driver in with a hammer. The grit in the compond will help keep the driver from rounding out. You may need to use what ever driver fits tightest. metric or std. This works real well as long as its not totally rounded out first. also works great on phillips head screws too. Hope this helps.

Back