Summit Point AKRA Road Raciing series

Kartshooter

Site Supporter

John “Jack” Foster Jr. Memorial Vintage Kart Race

AKRA/ Dart Kart Club/National Race at Woodbridge Kart Club

Story by Bruce C. Walls

Photos by Susan Taylor-Walls

SUMMIT POINT, WV - For the second time this season members of the Woodbridge Kart Club invited racers in the American Kart Racing

Association Road Racing to a weekend of racing at their (WCK’s) home turf-Summit Point Speedway in Summit Point, WV. Also on the bill that weekend, (August 21-22), were Sports Car Club of America Formula cars.

In addition to that, three Vintage classes were raced to honor well known and well liked, recently deceased kart racer John “Jack” Foster. Karting legion Louis Magera won the Open Memorial race and Ben Eberhart’s #9 took the WKC Vintage Euro LO checkers. William T. Anderson topped the WKC Vintage USA LO.“ The kart handled great,” Eberhart reported. “The Cobra tires worked for us today. They were near perfect,” he shouted across the pits.

Foster spotted his first kart at a local hardware store in 1959. He was so curious about the little machines he returned to the hardware store the following day and bought one. He already had a passion for racing. Owning a kart intensified his passion for the sport.

In the coming years Foster would win many races and earn championships. In 1974 Foster proudly took the Grand National C Open Class checkers at Mid-Ohio. But shortly after that success Foster and his wife would learn she had cancer. Foster was forced to retire from kart racing to take care of his dying wife and young family. Retirement was short lived.

Soon he was wrenching on a Dirt Modified Stock Car. When it was completed he began competing at area tracks with some success and a lot of top 10 finishes. He began locally at Bridge Port Speedway in in Bridge Port, New Jersey and Delaware International Speedway in Delmar, DE.

From there he graduated to the PA Posse racing at legendary PA tracks like Reading and Nazareth Speedways.

His wife’s passing left a huge hole in his heart. That first Christmas was especially tough on Foster. It was then that he knew in his heart that his wife wouldn’t want him to be home mourning her passing. So when dinner was done, he stood up and informed the family he was going racing. He quickly packed and was off to Daytona.

Foster was the kind of karter who helped his fellow racer, even competitors. For those efforts he received many accolades. He earned the prestigious WKC Larry Dring Award for contributions towards and continuation of the club and sport karting by assisting fellow karters in 1995 and again in 2001. Isabella

In 1994 he was presented the WKC Fatz Davis award for sportsmanship and service to other karters and in 1992 he became a WKC Lifetime member. In 2002 he became a WKA Hall of Famer. A year later, at 68-years-old, he won WKC’s Iron Man award for running the most races that year.

Jack suffered a heart attach in 1997. Fortunately his doctor felt that as active as Jack had been, total retirement might be too much. Since he wasn’t physically able to compete in the Upper karting Classes he began refurbishing his older McCulloch motors.

After he’d finished rebuilding every motor he could at his shop, he started asking friends for their McCulloch motors for him to rebuild. He also asked them to send him karting photos and information from that time period. He was shocked by the response.

He fixed all of the motors and karts as interest in Vintage kart racing grew. They printed tee shirts and what they “lovingly call Foster’s Fossils,” was born.

During the 1998 WKC’s July national he and his second wife, Isabella Foster held the first Wayne May Memorial Vintage race and kart show. Blown away by the response, especially from the younger Foster continued growing the series, which currently has multiple classes that are run in conjunction with AKRA National Road Racing Series events and at WKC races.

Describing her husband Isabella often said he was the love of saying, “Jack was the love of my life, he was crazy and a lot of fun.”

Memorial race winners get a trophy and a year’s bragging rights. At year’s end they must add at least one photo to the trophy and return it for the next winner.

Seven classes competed in Saturday’s first race. Nate “Corn Boy” Morgan of Etters, PA, notched his first national with a win in Yamaha Pipe. “This has been my home track since I’ve started racing. I got a decent start. I started on the pole I fell back to second or third exiting turn one. I stayed there a little while and then I took it back on lap two and never looked back. The CKI kart was good, probably the best it’s been and the Vega tires were a big part of it too. The motor was great you can’t go wrong with him he’s family,” Morgan laughed, “It feels good getting my first national win under my belt.

Crossing behind Morgan in second was Lamar Hilliard piloting a RWC chassis. “I really like the speed in this class and it’s competitive,” Hilliard said.

Elite Karting teammates Arthur McKenny and Ben Eberhart put on some good shows in Vintage Open and Vintage Piston Port/USA. McKenny nailed the Open wins while Eberhart scored Sunday’s Vintage Piston Port. Matchup.

“I’m really excited,” McKenny beamed, “It’s been a great weekend here at Summit Point Raceway, “For AKRA Nationals, hosted by Woodbridge Kart Club. I’ve been working hard all week to catch up to my young teammate Ben Eberhart in equal karts powered by equal Yamaha motors built by Van Gilder. This was my chance in equal karts. This time I chased him down and managed to beat him to the finish by 0.026 seconds. It makes me feel good. We’ve had a good time this weekend and it was my turn to win.”

Scott Stauffer led 16 Yamaha Pipe persurs across the stripe each day. Adam Trumbley trailed him Saturday. Sunday he had Morgan on his tail.

Complete results can be found at Race Monitor.com. To see more photos visit www.actionpicsand promos.com.

AKRA Road Racers have one more event on their 2021 schedule. On September 24-26 the tour travels to Wampum, PA where they will complete on the smooth track at Pittsburgh International Racing Complex in a national hosted by the Dart Kart Club.

Photo caption-photo Jack Foster.jpg shows Jack Foster’s second wife and WKC Vintage USA LO winner William T. Anderson.

DSC_9882copy.jpg- shows double winner Arthur McKenny

DSC_9206-shows #127 Arthur McKenny and Lamar Hilliard’s in Yamaha Pipe Final 2

DSC_9654-SCCA Formula cars

Back