Sumo class

j17

Rules state 200 lb minimum for driver. But what would be to heavy for a driver to race karts.

That depends, if you just want to have fun your limit would be, too big to fit in a go kart. If you want to race and make money, do something else, it’ll never happen, lol. I’d think you can give up 25 lbs and still be a competitor on a regular Saturday night race. If you’re really good you may can give up 50 lbs.

That depends, if you just want to have fun your limit would be, too big to fit in a go kart. If you want to race and make money, do something else, it’ll never happen, lol. I’d think you can give up 25 lbs and still be a competitor on a regular Saturday night race. If you’re really good you may can give up 50 lbs.
Thanks bud, im about 225 was just gonna get back into it. Does any kart handle a bigger guy better than others? I run in northeast Alabama an northwest Georgia

Oh, well then you’re good to go. I’m 230 and my kart is 152. I have to add weight to run super heavy. Most karts are in the 155lb area ready to race. Get you a kart and go have fun.

Reactions: j17
Oh, well then you’re good to go. I’m 230 and my kart is 152. I have to add weight to run super heavy. Most karts are in the 155lb area ready to race. Get you a kart and go have fun.
Thanks. I have a 2010 shadow i was thinking about re-doing it just to get the hang of things again. Been out about 8 yrs.

Go for it. Where will you be racing? I just got back involved last year after being out for 26 years.

Rules state 200 lb minimum for driver. But what would be to heavy for a driver to race karts.
I seen a friend run Clone 390 with his kart setup for 425. He was racing for he lead, got shuffled to the back and climb his way back to second running 35lbs heavy. Granted this was a regular Saturday Night show at a track he runs often, plus he’s a good driver.

Just saying you can give up some weight if you’re good enough.

Starts and restarts would concern me. Maybe some more exp guys can chime in on that.

I seen a friend run Clone 390 with his kart setup for 425. He was racing for he lead, got shuffled to the back and climb his way back to second running 35lbs heavy. Granted this was a regular Saturday Night show at a track he runs often, plus he’s a good driver.

Just saying you can give up some weight if you’re good enough.

Starts and restarts would concern me. Maybe some more exp guys can chime in on that.
Thanks for the input

I have a driver that runs sumo and I run super heavy use titanium everything and carbon seats bodies floor pans anything to save weight we have got kart down to 115 pounds with everything that can be lightened lightened

I have a driver that runs sumo and I run super heavy use titanium everything and carbon seats bodies floor pans anything to save weight we have got kart down to 115 pounds with everything that can be lightened lightened
Wow, that’s impressive. Where do you get the carbon seat and body?

I don't want to make any assumptions about your health status or BMI, but I'll say from own experience that the best weight to save is on yourself, and it's the cheapest to achieve. Plus the health and emotional benefits to working out are substantial. I dropped close to 15# just by cutting all sodas and becoming moderately active. Now that I have a desk job I'll have to go to some extra effort, but the plus side is that being healthier benefits every area of my life, not just karting... Plus it makes karting a lot less fatiguing.

I would have to see pics of that , don't believe I have ever heard of anyone being able to get a kart that light . That's 40+ pounds on a normal chassis..
Just way to hard to believe..

Whe
I would have to see pics of that , don't believe I have ever heard of anyone being able to get a kart that light . That's 40+ pounds on a normal chassis..
Just way to hard to believe..
when you run a custom carbon body weighted 4 pounds carbon seat carbon axle carbon tie rods chain guard engine tins stainless everything titanium everything we weighed the kart on our scales 115 pounds it takes a ton to get one this light floor pans everything we could build was carbon tach bracket everything it saves a ton of weight but it was a ton to get it that low could have paid for multiple diet plans for what I paid for all that carbon we built some of the carbon stuff our selves Shannon halbert had one along time a go he did the same with we even had a carbon steering wheel plus we ran carbon catch cans everything that could be made into carbon was everything else was stainless steel and titanium. Seat weighed almost nothing but we had issues with the the flex and had to stiffen it

Back