Switching AKRA to NKA question ????

racing promotor

Need to switch an AKRA plate clone with big pipe TO NKA purple plate small pipe, Question is which is best head to use ? and any other tips ?

Thanks in advance

So the big difference is going to be the AKRA allows porting and the NKA doesn't.

I've always like the 181 head. It simply works really well for a plate engine. If you follow this link, you'll see that while the 181 responds to porting on a purple plate the 3 angle valve job is the key driver of improved flow on this particular casting with this particular plate. It's the second graph from the bottom.

Thing is, the 181 is out of production, if you can find a new unaltered one, great. That said, I'm having really good results on the dyno and my customers are having great results on the track with the 223 head, (box stock project has them). I've had several engines come in for a season refresh and I've updated the head to the 223 (for various reasons) and I've picked up a little power. Is it because of the head, not totally conclusive......

I plan to run some flow testing in the near future, I'm thinking of comparing 223 casting to the 181 and the 158. When I do, I'll post my results.

Back