Syncronized exhaust note

FB7F9AAD-2E67-432D-84F2-FF61A7EAA913.png

no mufflers here🤟🏻

Without a doubt (IMO) flatty's sound better than an OHV but since getting back in the sport to help a friends son i have yet to hear that unified exhaust cackle... could it be the exhaust note frequency ? so anybody can give an logical explanation i would love to hear it . Logic tells me if a group of engines are firing in unison the effect would be the same or close despite engine type. Maybe this a question for Alvin Nunley.

I think a lot of it has to do with the flathead engine design. The open clones have that big duration thump too ... but it’s just not the same. They are just totally unique in the way they sound. I get goosebumps!! 🤟🏻

Audio engineer guy here... when you get enough sources of sound creating the same frequency, you get harmonic overtones which not only amplifies perceived volume but also starts squishing the air so much that it raises pressure. That’s the feeling in your chest and “vibrating” sensation in your ear drums. I too have never heard it with the OHV classes even when everyone is on an open pipe in superstock or small block/open modified. Flatheads rule!

Does anybody from the flathead days remember the sound sometimes made by group of karts during pace / caution laps when a group of karts would be firing in sync ?? It happend quite often and had a unique note . This is a phenomenon i have yet to hear in the OHV's . Just curious if anybody else noticed this.

No better sound than a full field of limited mod. flatheads - sounds like a herd of Harleys leaving Sturgis.
No worse sound than a full field of stock class clones - sounds like a herd of lawnmowers in the subdivision.

I'm on the flatheads forever bandwagon, for sure.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Bass trombones in concert can also as it's said "roll yer gut". ... :)

Never noticed it with boxstocks and is something i'd like to experience.
What's track in the picture?
I couldn't place it at Slippery Rock.

Back