TAG Vortex ROK GP water pump belts

jgbedford

New to 2-stroke karting - I just purchased myself an Intrepid TAG with Vortex ROX GP used kart. The kart is in great condition, except the water pump belts are missing. I have been doing some research and see that there are two options:

Rubber band style - continuous loop - standard belt

or

Braided stule - quick change

Since I am just getting into it - which one is better? Does one last longer than the other? Or is the only advantage is that you can change your belts without having to remove the rear axel?

Can anyone give me any guidance with this? I don’t want to screw it up on my first few times out.

Help?

Get the braided belts. They are much easier to deal with. Like you said otherwise you have to take the axle out to put standard belts in. I never noticed one lasting longer than the other.

Thanks Scrad, I haven't been out on the kart yet - and want a quick and simple solution to get a few laps in before tearing it down. The braided belts seem to be the quick and simple answer, as i can put two on without doing anything major to the kart.

I am attaching a picture of my setup, it has the two band setup.

My only hesitation to the braided belts are that they are significantly more expensive.

I'm in Canada and the track wants $15 for the standard closed loop belts (each) and $45 for the braided belts each. My setup requires two.

I guess I may have to bite the bullet to get the cart running quickly, and can buy the standard belts when I do some maintenance to the kart, and keep the braided as spares if I break a standard belt mid session.

I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• Intrepid Vortex ROK - water pump.jpg
    Intrepid Vortex ROK - water pump.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 34
Yeah, the cost of the braided lines is a bit more. But that is the cost of convenience. Can you order from the states and have them shipped to you?

Yes, most companies will ship to Canada (generally with a big shipping cost), and with the weak Canadian dollar it may just be easier to grab it at the local supply shop at the track. That being said, I have read that there are different sized belts - I guess a string would allow me to measure the size, or take the hit and let the local track give me the right one, and write down the part number for the future. Thanks for your help!

Is it ok on a TAG engine to just do away with the belt...
And just run a electric water pump?

You can get a decent pump and battery for the price of one belt...

Usually it isn't legal to use an electric pump.

You can rotate the pump forward and backwards to adjust for belt size.

Thanks for all your help - as time was of the essence to ge the kart going - I opted to purchase and install the braided lines. Pricey, yes, but had the kart running and lapping in minutes.

Attachments

• Kart braided belts.jpg
    Kart braided belts.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
Back