Take a guess how much HP gain with illegal springs !!!

Almost 2HP on a motor that only puts out 10HP is 20%..kinda like adding a shot of nitrous at the end of the straight..sounds worth the effort if it's back yard racing, and the springs will have to be better that the 10.8 stuff that only lasts 1 race... but in the end your just gonna end up over revving and then the rod will let go...

Lots and LOTS of illegal springs out there....and yes dynamic compression IS the holy grail. Maximize that maximize the go because the only job of your engine is to twist that axle as hard as possible. :) :) the corners are your problem.

To the results

5900 0
6300 + .7 HP
6600 + 1.7 HP
6900 + 1.9 HP

Enjoyed the feedback and predictions
Some very good predictions !!! perhaps others have played in this play pen before LOL

3 pulls on each spring set done within 30 minutes of each other. No lash adjustments (just springs changes) 3 pull average used for each set. Very clean data with no overlapping of any kind between sets. Very confident in the data set

I believe this helps prove as some have mentioned when you start losing control of the valves you lose HP way before you hear it with the ear or the motor starts laying down so bad you notice it , missing etc. I do believe cam profile has a role in this and another grind style cam may not produce the same results. When time allows I will be doing more testing in this area for sure and be running some springs under the max LBS allowed to see how bad they do.

per your second post the answer is to rev limiter them to 5900 rpm.

Question: what are the results at 6000, 6100 and 6200 rpm?

If it's still zero at 6000 rpm then rev limit at 6000 rpm and the problem is solved.

What's left is how quickly you can get to 6000 rpm and it's about cam, fuel supply, setup and driving.

How crisply an engine accelerates to take best advantage of the springs is about how fuel supply can match up with the rate of increase in rpm.

It's hard to know where your are with just one cylinder and nothing to compare it with. That's what makes setting butterflies and velocity/flow to be equal on multiple cylinder engines so critical. What's needed on multiple cylinder engines is separately adjustable fuel supplies for each cylinder because it reduces compromise between cylinders.

That bull just put a question in my head which never is able to stay there long. ... :)

How do you know your matching your fuel supply correctly when rpm and piston speed is increasing?

Might all your lags or straighter lines compared to a good rise in hp/torque over a short period of time on your dyno print out, all be the result of fuel supply not matching up well with piston speed and the time available to burn a charge of fuel?

I'm guessing the first thing which comes to mind is it's the cam design which alters how fast or slow the curve rises. But I doubt it's the answer because all efforts cam and everything else are to match fuel charge to the amount of time available to burn it efficiently. It nets out to during the advance of rpm your fuel burn can go from lean to rich at different times for what's actually needed to efficiently burn fuel. All your cam is doing is providing the correct amount of time needed and velocity/flow to get the correct charge of fuel into the cylinder(and out). All that's needed of the intake valve is to be open long enough and well enough for the fuel system to do it's work. The ancient fuel system and it's ability to smoothly change with needs that is causing all the grief. So you put stronger springs on it to be able too close valves at higher rpm's, so what if you limit your rpm's to 6000.

or not ??????

All you need to increase engine rpm is for the burn of fuel to produce more energy then is needed to spin the crank. How fast rpm's increase then becomes about how much more energy per burn you produce and how often you produce more then is needed. Early on when the piston is operating at slower speeds you burn more fuel per burn and each burn produces more energy. As rpm's increase you burn less fuel per burn and create less energy per burn but you do it more often. That is the reason torque is able to drop off while hp is still able to increase.

Torque is a meaningless number used to calculate all important hp which is what does the work for you. ... :)

Horses are not about how they twist their knee joints. There about how heavy a wagon they can pull and how fast you can get your goods to the market. ... :)

Last edited:
Back