Take me back to the good ole days

Ah NASCAR, good ole NASCAR. 2000 - 2007 were the good ole days in my opinion and I want to go back if time machines were real. Johnny Benson in the #10 Valvoline car, Ken Schrader #36 m&ms, etc. Take me back when MB2 Motorsports was still a team, when Pontiac and Chevy had the best NASCAR cars. Take me back to the days of the late Winston Cup Series & the Early days of the Nextel Cup Series.

The good old days changed with the advent of the radial tire in NASCAR. On biased ply tires the drivers could drive as necessary to keep up if their cars weren't handling right, and still stay up front. Running up front on radial tires means your car has to be perfect and there is nothing the driver can do to make it better. It falls into the laps of engineers to fix it.

The only way I see professional stock car racing becoming healthy again is if somebody who thinks like Humpy Wheeler starts a series. Somebody who recognizes why NASCAR used to be so popular. Its trivial I guess but I cannot stand watching this new car, which really is a sports car, with the hideous paint jobs which makes it look like a sports car, The Nationwide (or whatever it's called) cars have become a lot more interesting to me. OK I still call them Busch cars. Now that NASCAR has its fingers in IMSA racing, and neither are doing well, it sorta looks like they're slowly melding the two groups together.

The good old days was in the 70s and 80s when you could be missing your whole front end and still be in the top 10. When the cars were not equal in power and design. When you picked what brand of tire you ran

Ah NASCAR, good ole NASCAR. 2000 - 2007 were the good ole days in my opinion and I want to go back if time machines were real. Johnny Benson in the #10 Valvoline car, Ken Schrader #36 m&ms, etc. Take me back when MB2 Motorsports was still a team, when Pontiac and Chevy had the best NASCAR cars. Take me back to the days of the late Winston Cup Series & the Early days of the Nextel Cup Series.
Nascar died along with Dale Earnhardt in 2001. And all we have is the politically correct Woke version of some type of racing.

When Dale died, so did the spirit of NASCAR. I Cannot explain why, it just happen. I guess part of it was Dale Loved racing and it was the only way he could get out of the cotton mills and not be a lint head. After that Drivers became just walking billboards, advertising agents, Salesmen. Politically correct,

The only way you can make stock car racing healthy and good is keeping the cost down in the lower classes. I know some guys that had 30 grand in a race car and were only racing for 300 bucks. I raced for 13 years and every year you could see the money teams win every week. we started with 35 or more cars and had b mains every week but engine rules and other changes caused that car count down to 6 cars. You have to control the cost and the rules.

the early 70s into the late 80s were like NASCAR’s golden days in my eyes … watching the cars change to aero advantages yet still having cars the drivers had to get up on the wheel and drive, crews that tweaked and twisted and even broke performance rules to get that last 10hp…. Give me all that again baby and I’ll be there in front of the tv every Sunday like I used to.

Nascar died along with Dale Earnhardt in 2001. And all we have is the politically correct Woke version of some type of racing.

When Dale died, so did the spirit of NASCAR. I Cannot explain why, it just happen. I guess part of it was Dale Loved racing and it was the only way he could get out of the cotton mills and not be a lint head. After that Drivers became just walking billboards, advertising agents, Salesmen. Politically correct,
I agree...I was a Dale Sr. fan but just lost interest when he died.... today I would rather watch Pickleball on TV than a NASCAR race. Just my opinion.

The late 80s, early 90s, when still stock steel bodies. Or at least the hood and trunk lid were production parts.
Innovation was the norm. Before radial tires. A normal blue collar guy who worked on his own cars all week could still make the show.
And, sometimes, make believers out of all of us.
Schrader, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, all made there way into the shows. Then proved they belonged there.
79 Daytona 500 was the first race I saw in real time. Made me a fan of the sport, not for the fist fight, but for the on track battles, in cars I could see at my local dealer.

Last edited:
Best racing in the country
20220715_222027.jpg

The only way I see professional stock car racing becoming healthy again is if somebody who thinks like Humpy Wheeler starts a series. Somebody who recognizes why NASCAR used to be so popular. Its trivial I guess but I cannot stand watching this new car, which really is a sports car, with the hideous paint jobs which makes it look like a sports car, The Nationwide (or whatever it's called) cars have become a lot more interesting to me. OK I still call them Busch cars. Now that NASCAR has its fingers in IMSA racing, and neither are doing well, it sorta looks like they're slowly melding the two groups together.
I still call it Busch.

I agree...I was a Dale Sr. fan but just lost interest when he died.... today I would rather watch Pickleball on TV than a NASCAR race. Just my opinion.
Wow as a diehard NASCAR fan im offended you would watch pickelball instead, I do see your point though about Dale Sr dying and losing interest. I haven't lost interest but because of many factors but I love NASCAR and dirt track stock car racing for life baby

Wow as a diehard NASCAR fan im offended you would watch pickelball instead, I do see your point though about Dale Sr dying and losing interest. I haven't lost interest but because of many factors but I love NASCAR and dirt track stock car racing for life baby
They are all a bunch of pretty boys born into money now…none wrench on there car or anything like that…I was the Dale Jr Download Podcast or whatever it’s called and they all say how far nascar has come. Face it man nascar doesn’t have nearly as many diehard fans. They are pretty boys born into money. They completely changed racing. Dale Sr called it many times if nascar stays the way they are headed it won’t be around forever and it will lose fans. Nascar knows it is losing fans and look at all the changes they have tried to make. There is a guy on here and he had a YouTube video onetime and said why would I pay so much to go watch the same 40 cars or whatever it is now compete that always compete against each other or go to your local track watch people from all over the area battle it out for a little cash prize…people who do the racing for fun. And enjoy it so much more than nascar. Nascar is dieing and that is the truth. Nascar isn’t the same as it used to be and it never will be. I like drag racing and want a car so bad but all the automotive sports are headed in a bad direction and they are trying to make them all spectator stuff. Nascar isn’t the same as it used to be and it never will be. I would go watch a nascar race if the tickets were giving to me. If I had nascar tickets for free or had to go pay to watch at the local dirt track i am going to the local dirt track. You and I were born after Dale Sr died so we both never saw the glory days but even being born after that I can tell you nascar isn’t the same.

Back