tear offs.

hillygoat77

how many of you guys use them. I was just looking through last years photos and noticed I'm the only one using them. I now some guys say they just wipe the dirt away. why do that when you can just reach up and pull a tab not to mention you dont risk scratching your visor as bad.

kart tracks typically arent heavy enough for the need to have tear offs. that being said, i will still occasionally use them if i think the conditions are possible. those wiping dirt off usually is just wiping dust.
kyle

I remember when you'd never leave the grid of a 1hr. enduro without them. Especially in a twin engine'd class running opens.

Do you guys that use them walk around after the races and clean up what you threw off?

race on asphalt, I use them....even under ideal track conditions where you don't have a lot of dust or mud, you'll still pick up crap being behind someone or passing them. in a 15 lap race, i'll put on three and after five laps or half way depending on the amount of crap, i'll strip one off....I wear glasses, but not on the track...more reading and up close work...but having a fresh clean shield always helps. because the cost of a bunch of them is minimal compared to the cost of a new shield...I'll keep using them! the track clean up workers usually pick them up...I've offered, but got told that they get to watch the races for free, make a few bucks in the process and don't mind picking them up! who am I to ruin there good thing?

race on asphalt, I use them....even under ideal track conditions where you don't have a lot of dust or mud, you'll still pick up crap being behind someone or passing them. in a 15 lap race, i'll put on three and after five laps or half way depending on the amount of crap, i'll strip one off....I wear glasses, but not on the track...more reading and up close work...but having a fresh clean shield always helps. because the cost of a bunch of them is minimal compared to the cost of a new shield...I'll keep using them! the track clean up workers usually pick them up...I've offered, but got told that they get to watch the races for free, make a few bucks in the process and don't mind picking them up! who am I to ruin there good thing?
You keep forgetting you race on a car track where the stands are full of paying spectators to offset the labor cost's, picking up trash after the races at KART tracks is left up to the track owner, most kart tracks have houses near by, trash blows into there yards and they complain, these complaints can and has caused tracks to shut down.
Tear off are not needed on well prepared tracks, we have never used them, good Simpson/Impact/Bell shields are harder to scratch than you think, they are cleaned with the proper cleaner and lens rag after every time on the track, lens cleaner prevents stuff from sticking to it.
You should never dry wipe a face sheild

You keep forgetting you race on a car track where the stands are full of paying spectators to offset the labor cost's, picking up trash after the races at KART tracks is left up to the track owner, most kart tracks have houses near by, trash blows into there yards and they complain, these complaints can and has caused tracks to shut down.
Tear off are not needed on well prepared tracks, we have never used them, good Simpson/Impact/Bell shields are harder to scratch than you think, they are cleaned with the proper cleaner and lens rag after every time on the track, lens cleaner prevents stuff from sticking to it.
You should never dry wipe a face sheild

This is what i was thinking also. I clean mine with a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner, and never have a problem with anythhing sticking to my shield unless its clumps of mud on a wet sloppy track in the spring, even then its easy to just wipe off on a caution.

In karts I try to keep 4 on before every heat/feature ...mods/360's/410's ...as many as I can and still see through them(15-20) sure in karts they aren't as big a deal but in the spring/fall or after a rain shower there can be mud patches or water along the inside of corners that can make vision a nightmare and the last thing you need is to second guess your line ...simply wiping the visor will for sure damage a good visor or make your race harder than need be and break concentration ...be a scout and "always be prepared"

Those who don't use tear-offs will wish they did at one point or another. I've noticed that while running in traffic oil mist from the blow by of the karts in front accumulates on the shield...and dirt and or dust sticks to oil...or say somebody hand grenades an engine in front of you...guess what, your not gonna be able to wipe that off! Racing-Optics Xstack is the way to go.

Those who don't use tear-offs will wish they did at one point or another. I've noticed that while running in traffic oil mist from the blow by of the karts in front accumulates on the shield...and dirt and or dust sticks to oil...or say somebody hand grenades an engine in front of you...guess what, your not gonna be able to wipe that off! Racing-Optics Xstack is the way to go.

15 years in dirt oval karting and never a need for them

I use them from time to time. All according to track conditions. Then there are the times I didn't put any on and I wished I had. I look at it as cheap insurance.

Yup..to finish first...first you must finish.....prepare yourself by doing the things you can control and you will persevere through the things you can't control.

There was many times I wished I had them on during a race. The kids usually run around and pick them up after the race. I see more empty cups and hotdog wrappers on the ground then I do tear offs at the end of the night.

Racing optics are well worth the money. Never needed tearoffs for kart racing but use them in micro and modifieds.

car or kart track notwithstanding, the idea is to keep your vision as clear as possible. yes, the shields are harder to scratch than they were in the past. some don't need them all the time and some only use them part of the time....but most at one time or the other say that they have been in situations where they would have liked to have one or two. if I was racing on a small mom and pop track, then yes, I would walk the track and pick them up....if nothing else, I hate litter!!

car or kart track notwithstanding, the idea is to keep your vision as clear as possible. yes, the shields are harder to scratch than they were in the past. some don't need them all the time and some only use them part of the time....but most at one time or the other say that they have been in situations where they would have liked to have one or two. if I was racing on a small mom and pop track, then yes, I would walk the track and pick them up....if nothing else, I hate litter!!
Your in the minority, 4 years running a large kart track, racers can be the nastiest people around, one look in the bathrooms after an event will change your mind, and they throw more paper towels and such trash on the ground it isnt even funny, and ill not get into where I have seen them dump used oil at, after its been clearly told where the used oil container is located

Back