Tech tools ( WHO )

DynoDon

I am getting many calls and e-mails about where guys can get the tech tools for the clone. I purchased my stuff from Rix, Rockets but he is no longer in service. I can't find the number for Jones. Is there anyone who has the basic line of tools for the clone that I can pass on to the people who are asking me?

I am getting many calls and e-mails about where guys can get the tech tools for the clone. I purchased my stuff from Rix, Rockets but he is no longer in service. I can't find the number for Jones. Is there anyone who has the basic line of tools for the clone that I can pass on to the people who are asking me?
Don....you bring up an an interesting subject matter. Please note that my curiousity carry's NO (-) connotations towards the noted vendors. My questions are...#1; Can anybody offer/supply the industry (Clones) with 'Tech' tools, and #2; are vendors required too be authorized/certified by....AKRA?, WKA?, IKF?, NKA? etc...etc...! Example: If 'sCREamn Clones' choses too pursue 'acceptance/certification' of our 'Spring Tester', "whom" would we make our presentation too? I do/would think that your 'Stroke Measuring Device' would fall into the same subject matter. Info/Input appreciated.

My stroke gauge is excepted by AKRA as a non evasive method way of determining stroke. I sent it to AKRA for approval. They gave me the thumbs up. I might also add that I sent it in for approval way before I became a known individual by the AKRA.

FYI.. Stout Racing Engines in Cleveland TN purchased Rix, so I would assume you can still get them, but from Louis at Stout now...

Stout Racing engines has purchased Rix Rockets and equipment. Rix will still be a part of the name for a while until Stout has a full handle on everything. Two really good guys to work with.

Don....you bring up an an interesting subject matter. Please note that my curiousity carry's NO (-) connotations towards the noted vendors. My questions are...#1; Can anybody offer/supply the industry (Clones) with 'Tech' tools, and #2; are vendors required too be authorized/certified by....AKRA?, WKA?, IKF?, NKA? etc...etc...! Example: If 'sCREamn Clones' choses too pursue 'acceptance/certification' of our 'Spring Tester', "whom" would we make our presentation too? I do/would think that your 'Stroke Measuring Device' would fall into the same subject matter. Info/Input appreciated.

This is something I have been asking. I believe all tools should be certified on a yearly basis. I have a metrology lab that is willing to do this for a small fee. But many people teching have tools that havent been checked in a few years. This creates questions in the tech rooms. I would like to see AKRA, WKA, IFK and NKA all mandate techs have to have there tools certified on a yearly basis. And list a few metrology labs that are approved to do this. JMO

Certification of tech tools is a GREAT idea. Unfortunately, most tracks choose not to be master tracks with any certain organization, and instead simply follow the sanctioning body's rules on their own (which creates other issues - tech appeals, etc.) Even having certified and trained tech personnel has become a thing of the past for many Saturday night tracks who are simply struggling to keep their heads above water financially.
I have a friend at a local manufacturing plant that has it's own tool crib and yearly inspection/certification process. I've been able to slip my tools through just to check for myself (which is better than nothing at all,) but realistically, it would need to be done at an "approved" testing facility by ALL of the sanctioning bodies. What's the chances that they can all agree on that? :)

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

No need to have an "approved" testing lab. That is the beauty of having a lab/shop that can test to a national standard, you don't need to approve just one. These shops are in every major city and a lot of smaller cities. As long as they are calibrating to a known NIST standard with up to date certifications, you are good.

A couple of weeks ago I ask for tolerance's for the tech tools and the dead weight's for the spring checker, all I was told was they need to be as close as possible. I was not happy with some of the no-go I had bought (being undersize) so I want make tech tool set's for resale, I still have not been told what the tolerance's need to be.

Most gauges are +- .0005 and you are advise to check them when you purchase them. If you can't check them yourself to within that standard there is something wrong. I doubt .001 is going to win or loose a race

.001" has definitely LOST many races! Clone valve lift measured at the retainer (rotated) comes to mind. Clone valve spring length. Carb venturi. I could go on and on. .001 likely won't win a race but it most definitely will lose you a race.

I think the point that some guys are making is that it would be good to have "standards" like many other industries have (NIST for gauges). That way both the tech man and the racer are cmofortable that the gauges that they are using are accurate. Sure, we can take a pair of calipers or mics and measure our no-go gauges, but then how accurate is your caliper and mic? Guess what, they will be used in the tech barn as well. Being an engine builder, I want to make certain that ALL of my tools are within spec. Having them certified is just peace of mind.

Daniel, what did the sanctioning bodies say to you when you asked about manufacturing no-gos and tech gauges?
PM me if you'd rather.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

No need to have an "approved" testing lab. That is the beauty of having a lab/shop that can test to a national standard, you don't need to approve just one. These shops are in every major city and a lot of smaller cities. As long as they are calibrating to a known NIST standard with up to date certifications, you are good.

I agree with this. I just think a third party needs to certify them not the same guy using the tool.

Tec example Horizontal on carb bore no go goes 3/4 of the way through but not all the way through as though venturi. with the tolerances you are talking what would you do ?

Great question! Seems that with some engines, some sanctioning bodies use a no-go in tech differently than others. Why is that? Is there not a standard on even this (how to properly use a no-go gauge)? I can't speak for all of the sanctioning bodies, but I know that they are looking at this very closely right now. Keep in mind that my experience/interest is particularly with animal engines, but this applies to the clones as well.

Larry Jones Motorsports web host is having problems. They have told us that our website should be up in the next 3-4 hours!
Sorry for the inconvience!
Any questions call the shop at 704-873-4966.
Please try the website later!
We will be closed on Thursday and Friday!

Back