Tech

Spring pressure I think, carb bore. I am newer to this but I have heard about people getting teched for this. Also restrictor plate if it is a jr class.

Depending on the depth of the protest wanted determines what all is checked. Some tracks rip the protester down first and if he is legal then they rip the protested down. When I tech, it depends on what I want to see. I actually watch the race and decide from there

If the tech is doing his job the only complete tear down would be a money protest. Most of the time the protester is simply upset that he/she can’t beat someone because he/she doesn’t know proper set up. A good knowledgeable tech can determine if an engine needs to come clear down. If the tech feels it necessary for a complete rip then the time to do so is on him. If another karter wants a complete tear down the time is on the protester and time is money. Big money races are a bit different

That may be true .
You can though tell if the engine is unique , in that it has more power .
An objective decision can be made then .
Not all out of spec engines produce outstanding performance .
Tech personal are not inherently lazy , Walk a mile in there Shoes .

Our local place didn't check jack, pulled carb to check plate once in 2 years. Winter series would check carb, plates, stroke. They don't want to spend 2hrs teching one motor.

That may be true .
You can though tell if the engine is unique , in that it has more power .
An objective decision can be made then .
Not all out of spec engines produce outstanding performance .
Tech personal are not inherently lazy , Walk a mile in there Shoes .
Walk a mile in whose shoes ? The tech man ??? Been there done that ... Tech man is just like a flag man .. You gonna be a SOB if ya call it wrong or if ya call it right ..

A good knowledgeable tech man can determinep if an engine needs to come clear down... remember typin that ?Please explain that then ? Is there some special way that you can see into these parts w/o taking one apart ?

ok you got me there. Maybe I should have said “I can tell I am going to go as far as I need “. My point was to be taken that a good tech can determine when an engine needs to be inspected more than just the basic inspection. I had a race I was watching because the racer qualified above and beyond everyone else. The engine was so much crisper than the others. He blew the field away in the feature. Needless to say I had people all over me about it. I had already made my mind up it was coming down. So, you were a tech you say. Just where are you going to start? Keep in mind there is something there that shouldn’t be.

Last edited:
Being as I am a tech and run a track , you have to pay attention to all of the races you can . If you have a guy that seems mediocure during heat races or qualifying , and blisters the field in the feature , you know something is amiss . I walk the pits in between rounds , and pay attention to what racers are doing in between rounds . A good tech not only knows the tools and how to use them , he understands and pays attention .

Back