tecumseh clutch

Hey i got a star engine big bore stock stroke billet head big valves bn mikuni carb open engine and i got a premier titan 16 tooth clutch is it good enuff for what i want to do. Is it better than the noram star clutch? I dont wanna burn it out there and get dragged off the track like a tard! !!! Rob bruce

Thats what i figured. That jammer clutch is fly how much is one it says 450 on the web site. A bunch of open karts at the track i run owosso kart track run that star clutch. Wil that drum preimer work for a while until i get the quid for a better one. The motor is a vke star tricked out but with a stock stroke crank i dont know how much power it makes.

I think your clutch will be fine, think about it if it doesn't slip and stays locked it will be fine, drum clutches last if you don't try to use it as a transmission, is it better then a Noram star about the same, not knocking the jammer it's a great disc clutch and a Noram enforcer is a great drum clutch, I use the enforcer with my Meth Gx390 open motor works very well, have friends who run the star with there 390's and it works for them.

Are the shoes in these clutches all the same.is the enforcer a noram.
I don't think the shoes are the same, with the Noram differences are size of shoes enforcer looks bigger and friction material is different ,The enforcer is there best shoe clutch i my opionion will run you around $220 for one if them, down side is you will have to pay for new drum for driver size change so pick carefully also it runs on the end of the crankshaft. The enforcer is rated at 40hp and the max stall is about 2400rpm, it not a problem with my 390 it's make ton of torque. Check this place out for shoe clutches :http://www.heeters.com/kartclutches.shtml

i ran norma star clutch on my big bore stock stroke star with no problem. just service it every race. my new big bore stroker star i did step up to a 4 disc bully turbo but the drum clutches work if setup correct and serviced often

The 1 inch clutch market is severely lacking in diversity. Disk clutches include the Bully, Jammer Eagle, and Horstman Redhawk. Problem is, you cant find a Redhawk, regardless of what Horstman says. They will make promises but you wont get a clutch. Don't take my word for it, call them and see. The Bully and Jammer are darn fine clutches. Super strong. Problem is price. They aint cheap. Way over $400 either way you go. Way over. I like the Jammer a ton but to totally switch everything over to them would be thousands of dollars. I sold all my Horstmans after being unable to get disks or spacers. I know of 3 acceptable shoe clutches. All 3 Norams. Starr, Enforcer, and Minicup. Minicup and Enforcer must be mounted outboard. Enforcer has a "fiber" bonded to the shoes and hold very well. It will hold a 40 horse engine. Remember, for whatever reason, Noram does NOT make it in 16 tooth. 10 thru 18 driver but NO 16. Why? Who knows. The Minicup and Starr are very similar and at first glance seem to use the same shoes. They do NOT. The minicup shoes are slightly wider and IMO better. Shop around. you can get a Starr for $150ish, a Minicup for $180ish and an Enforcer for $200ish (or a disk clutch for $480ish) I like the Starr the least but if you have to run an inboard, that's the only choice. I run a crap load of laps every year on the Minicup clutch. Engines ranging in horsepower from 18 up to whatever I can get from a modified 390. I even ran one on a slicked up 440. Never have had a failure. Never seen an Enforcer crap out either. Darn fine clutches. If money is no object, go disk. I would love to outfit my stuff with Jammers or Bullys. Ill need five to start out with drivers ranging from 15 to 20. I can run stickers and fly banners and talk them up all the time. Even in victory lane. (hint hint) Good luck

Are the shoes in these clutches all the same.is the enforcer a noram.
No. the Enforcer shoes are very different from the Starr and Minicup. The Minicup and Starr shoes are almost the same. I would guess you could almost put a Starr shoe on a Minicup center hub, maybe. I would think it would function. The minicup ones are a little wider for better clutch lockup and less slippage.

Go to the misc. Classified and there is a Tomar 3 disk ckutch for sale for $100. You cant go wrong with a tomar clutch. If you perform proper maintence you should have no problem with getting a full season out of a fesh rebuild.

Back