terms, sprint and LTO same

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
i don't normally pay a much attention to the rules, because i don't run up close enough to the front to worry about tech. so was checking out the AKRA rules, section 4, wheel base. 43 inch max and 40 in minimum.
so center point of axle to center point of spindle pin. this still right? i was told my 43 inch kart was not going to be legal.
next,.. Kart types, it calls the karts sprints.. is it safe to say that all karts, offset, and perimeter chassis are considered sprint?

No , oval currently are lto chassis .
Sprint are straight rail , no offset .
If it meets the 43 inch wheel base you should be good .
Sanctioned ,, semi sanctioned and my sand box my rules is still possible .

43" wheelbase might be legal, but it will not be competitive (for the most part) with 40" karts. There's a reason that certain manufacturers starting cheating that rule to the negative (ie 39 3/4" wheelbase.)
Sr champs are real lazy at weight transfer to the fright front for this reason - that's why so many on here "gasped" when you said that you cut the cage of your sr champ to make it into a flat kart.

The term "sprint" goes way back in karting to refer to short course road racing.
I have no idea why (or who) was the first to use that term, but they in no way resemble a dirt "sprint" car, or even an oval kart. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

43" wheelbase might be legal, but it will not be competitive (for the most part) with 40" karts.
Back in 1973, even then, that was the generally accepted theory. That's the year I built my 1st Mayko Shark. The wheelbase was 42 inches. Not saying you're wrong, but there are other ways to do things. At my 1st Nationals, 1975, in the read open class, I qualified 3rd behind Lynn Haddock and Rick Gifford.

Back in 1973, even then, that was the generally accepted theory. That's the year I built my 1st Mayko Shark. The wheelbase was 42 inches. Not saying you're wrong, but there are other ways to do things. At my 1st Nationals, 1975, in the read open class, I qualified 3rd behind Lynn Haddock and Rick Gifford.

Oval racing, narrow track width, totally different ballgame than sprint racing in the '70s, Al.
Can the longer wheelbase car work? Sure, so can a straight up chassis, outside "C" spindles, non-adjustable caster/camber front ends, etc...but it will take a lot more effort to even get close.
Like I said, the trend has been to cheat the rules to the short side (and for good reason = it's faster.)

Back