The end of the LEGENDARY Yamaha KT100?!!

Being new to karting with just 1 year under my belt, I was introduced to the Yamaha as the only choice for juniors using can, and sportsmen using either can or pipe. In researching I found the KT100 easy to find decent used motors and easy to get going and keep going. However, with ROK's new VLR motor as a less expensive alternative to the KA100, our track is considering allowing these motor to compete with the Yamaha's. Not sure ow this will pan out. Strictly looking at new vs new the VLR offers a lot for the money and address one of the weakest points of the Yamaha by including a clutch and a pipe. While I don't have much experience with LO206 surely the attraction for kart tracks and new racers is that you basically have a turnkey set up,
the KA100 and VLR could do that too.

VLR is nice, but no national options here and club is locked into IAME locally. MtBikerBob -- do you race at Avon, or Lafayette, or other? I'm doing KA here in NC, but I'm from Freeville / Dryden / Cortland. Nobody up there is racing when I'm "home" from July 5-13th...:(

ROK is a Vortex engine, which means the most expensive parts in karting. Just saying. Good engines though.

VLR is nice, but no national options here and club is locked into IAME locally. MtBikerBob -- do you race at Avon, or Lafayette, or other? I'm doing KA here in NC, but I'm from Freeville / Dryden / Cortland. Nobody up there is racing when I'm "home" from July 5-13th...:(

Ted,
I race at Lafayette, not sure why but most of the month of July they have no racing on the schedule. There is a series race (between Lafayette / Avon and St. Lawrence) at St. Lawrence on the 14th. Unless there is another event going on, Lafayette is always open Saturdays and Sundays for open practice and rentals. The new owners are selling Compkarts now and I believe they will have some available for rent if you are looking to try out the track. Look them up at Lafayette Motorsports Park on Facebook.

As for the VLR doesn't ROK promote their own series?

Ted, Avon has a club race on July 7th, and we have vintage karts scheduled for that day also if that interests you.

Ted, Avon has a club race on July 7th, and we have vintage karts scheduled for that day also if that interests you.
concidentally, I am just finishing up my 1976-9 Margay ProX and it has a WKA flatty on it....a KT-100 would be an easy switch if I can find a cheap one... Sent you a PM.

Back