The LO 206 buying advantage.

Dale

Is there any advantage really to where you buy a LO 206? Is there any advantage to different head casting they use? I cant imagine there actually flowing heads at the factory or carbs. I have seen inconsistent RPM limiters or tachs LOL. In reality-is there anyway toget a advantage with one of these engines?

None at all, Just buy from the shop you want to support ! Only thing you do after you buy it is take care of it ! They are one of the best engines ever built for dependability and close racing

The only improvement you can get over "out of the box" is to lightly cut the valve seats and lap em in good.

Is there any advantage really to where you buy a LO 206? Is there any advantage to different head casting they use? I cant imagine there actually flowing heads at the factory or carbs. I have seen inconsistent RPM limiters or tachs LOL. In reality-is there anyway toget a advantage with one of these engines?

The head castings have all been from one series or mold. Tghe rev limiters seem to be very consistent, I have not seen one over the 6100 most seem to be 6050. Where you buy should not make any difference, If you don't want it dealer tuned inspect the box it should be sealed and no evidence of being opened.

Several months ago i posted on the 206 engine i had a large number of engines pulled the head on each checked the specs on everyone yes there were some diffrences but in terms of proformance there was very little that could be measured the biggest diffrence was the set up of the kart and the drivers style and ability the 206 gets back to the basics of what kartings about i know drivers who have 206 engines with 2 or more years on them and still winning races at there home and regional tracks

Just one question I know they come sealed from the factory and we can buy them from
any kart shop we want but since it is sealed I would assume we would have to send it
back when it needs a refresh? I always have done my own motors.

You need to buy a $280 (???) short block when it needs to be refreshed, which if takin care of will be years down the road most likely.

The 2014 minimum advertised price (MAP) is $243.00.
If you are paying more than that you might want to look around.

Thanks Jimbo....I was just guessing. Been racing these things for years and haven't had to buy one yet so I didn't know :)

Ohio83,
Jim is talking about shortblock pricing. Dealers (myself included) typically offer a race-ready engine package that includes everything needed to bolt it on the kart and race. ie, the factory doesn't sell clutches, spec pipes and mufflers, etc.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I've seen people asking $650-$800 for them race ready. What gives???

Shortblock is the $243.00 price. Depending on what is included in the price ( clutch, pipe, muffler, etc ), the price would be higher than the $500 or so for just the complete motor.

Back