the most important tool in the box

Ive gotta go with the pressure guage. I can quess the duro fairly close. Im a big fan of the mycron, and the wallet is very important. But if your a half a pound off all around, could be the differance between night and day.

some might disagree with looking at the track temps, but I measure the entry and exit of the corners and half way down the straights just before race time. I've used this to gauge what pressures we want to run. I keep in mind that the higher track surface temp, the more crap is going to come up out of the asphalt....the higher the temps, the worse the oils and crude in the track come up to the surface. I've found that with the higher temps, I run a little less pressure and it gives a little more bite coming out of the corner and they seem to get grippy when you enter the corners....the lower the temps, I can run a little more pressure and get the same feeling....and it might just be that, a feeling.....but it seems to help.... but just watching the temps and you can almost see the crude coming up...specially in the corners where it seems everyone that blows up and dumps all the oil at! we race super late models, cadet, pure stock, street stock, bando's and legends, so the crap really gets put down thick when one of these blow! I also keep track of the pressure and temp of the tires immediately after a race to see how much the tires grow and what pressures came up to....this helps getting the pressures set with the growth in mind....more or less tailoring your stagger so that five laps into the feature, your going to be at your optimum stagger, inside of just letting them grow and trash your setup....

oh...forgot to add that I measure in the middle of the groove....but, then I ain't the only one walking the track and checking if I have time!!

and, if I may.....one other thing that I have in the tool box that I replenish almost every week.....a BIG box of Band-Aids!! seem that little things bite, scratch, jab and otherwise try and ruin your gripping the steering wheel!! I am stuck on band-aids, cuz band-aids stick on me!!!

and, if I may.....one other thing that I have in the tool box that I replenish almost every week.....a BIG box of Band-Aids!! seem that little things bite, scratch, jab and otherwise try and ruin your gripping the steering wheel!! I am stuck on band-aids, cuz band-aids stick on me!!!

Well said Mikey !!! lol :D

Bob's forum's, Us new guys can learn a lot from reading and asking questions on here, that our competetion will not tell us at the track. And you can get some really good deals under the classified section too.

nah...y'all got it wrong....best thing in the tool box is what helps you to win!! worst thing in the tool box? some idiots hand that is taking what isn't his......been a lot of posts here lately on less than honest racers permanently borrowing someone else's tools...

just sayin,......

The most important tool at any race is the 'one' you 4got at home! Other than that it wud be my 'drain pan'....that's why mine is 'built-in'...:)
Actually....the most important tool is....one you can't borrow!

Last edited:
Back