The National Rules

T T Bone

Is there such a thing anymore? I am trying to set the rules locally so if we travel we all are on the same page. I want the 15 yr old open/outlaw winged sprint kart class but with rules that have been set I thought in stone. Turbos, frt wings, 4 wheel brakes, etc are not in the rules I have found??? We all need to stick to them!! Thanks.

Some tracks will change the rules alittle from the normal track rules to fit there local tracks depends. It not a bad thing, it helps out the local racers. Some do travel outside there area. So they may need to makes some changes to kart for other kart track rules.

Butler22

Tony check out English creeks speedway or millbridges web page they have a great rules list written. But there you go they care both a little different.

These are the rules on Outlaw Karting of America.

OPEN OUTLAW CLASS
1. Age Limit: Open – Minimum age 15

2. All exceptions must be approved by Promoter.

3. Motor: Any cc – No big street type motors, i.e., 650, 750, 1100, etc. If in doubt, ask.

4. Minimum weight kart and driver ( Adjustment for average kart weight may occur ) 450 lbs

5. All racers must run a spaced right rear tire. Racers have the option of running 50 or 55 right rear tires. Right rear tires must punch 50 or above on a durometer.

6. Stock OEM manual disk type clutch only, must be able to push start.

A couple of problems that I see are #1 is no cc limits or cylinder limits, just say no street bike engines. #2 it say you have to run a D50 or 55 tire but then says it only needs to punch a 50 on the durometer. What is the point of having a tire rule if you are going to allow the chemicals to soften them down to a 50.jmo

tms

The outlaw rules that have been around the longest can be found at http://www.wingedsprintkarts.com/ we have been using them in Texas for over 8 years. The Outlaw Karting of America org is started by a local Wichita Falls, TX photographer (Cody Wooten) last year he post a combination of rules that seam to be vague in part.

HopeUBrungEnuff

Those rules look good, but probably need a little tweaking, in my opinion. The weights, more than anything.
And, I don't think you will successfully eliminate prep.

tms

The weight can vary from track to track that's why they state "Suggested weight with driver minimum" .... I am with Kevin, as long as they punch!!!

TheProfessor5

If you want prep, run asphalt. Prep turns a dirt track into a one lane asphalt with dust above the groove. I have ran on a great track that was slick on the bottom, tacky on the top and about the same speed for both, then a flat kart went out for 5 laps with dope and the next time out it was lock down, tire screeching, full throttle on the bottom. Took all racing out of it and became follow the leader. Dope is fine in flat karts because they don't have power to run high and low even if it is slick on the bottom. IMO tire dope is a crutch for the driver. I have heard flat kart drivers get out of it because it cost too much in tires and dope to stay competitive. From what I heard it is not the best racer that wins, but the best chemist. I'm glad some of the bigger races (Wild West) check for dope.

jake17j

Nick is right on the less driver more prep deal. If you don't have a good prep program now in flat karts you are not going to be very successful.

T T Bone

I feel the frt wing looks and might do some good but I am not looking forward to have it slice my arm or leg when another kart jumps up in my lap. It happens and that is a major safety issue to me and I hope others see it also. Four wheel disc brakes, the rule states no right frt brake. The tire doping I know is around to stay and its hard not to when all the flat karts are running the same track as we are. The 50-55 tire rule sounds good but when we race during the day here in the midwest dry/slick conditions will it hold up and work?? Trying to get the local tracks on the same page. I do not want this class turning into a run what you brung class with anything goes..

TheProfessor5

IMO the front wing is a huge safety issue. Our doors to get in the car are just the right size for someone who wants to use someone elses car as a means to turn the corner to come right in the cockpit. I have seen it happen a lot. I'm sorry to say, but since these don't cost 10 grand to fix when you crash, guys think they can just bonzi in. If it was a sprint car they would never think of driving like that because it would hurt the wallet too much. How many times have you seen it take 5 minutes to untangle two cars because one ran over the sissy bar and is sitting in the lap of the other kart. No imagine a front wing sticking in their against the other guys head. I don't like it, but it is only my opinion and fortunately I race at a track where they are illegal. During the day you want the hardest tire they make. If not, you will only go about 8 laps before it is gone. Nationals at ECS was during the day and I had a brand new 55 on the RR. It was to the cords at the end of the main. Any thing softer probably would have popped.