The only way to make racing engines equal letting racers put any engine they want on to race.

paulkish

old fart
All that is needed is an electronic device which will equalize engines by controlling both maximum rpm and the rate of acceleration.

Tracks could purchase for random distribution on race day or require sealed serialized units from a specific manufacture installed.

Pretty simple solution throw what ever engine you like on your kart and it's performance will be controlled by the "rate of acceleration" and maximum rpm.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6112719

sense firing of sparkplug for input to control the firing of the sparkplug
If you can set maximum rate of increase for sparkplug firing you also will set maximum rate of acceleration.
Some engines might make it easier to set maximum rate then others.
But if everyone's using a predator engine which cannot accelerate any quicker then any other and would not be able to go beyond a set rpm, it would equalize things.
High cost engine work now is to be able to maximize the rate of acceleration or maximize it at either the top, bottom or middle depending on needs.
If you could no longer alter the rate of acceleration you would be wasting your time to build an engine to anything other then being able to meet the maximum rate of acceleration.
It is and would be simple using traction control to equalize engine rate of acceleration instead of the kart or car's rate of acceleration.

Gearing is not variable so you would still be able to best match gearing to your track but everyone's engines would all accelerate at the same rate.
Outcome or how fast a kart or car is would become totally dependent on setup, driving and weight.

edit: It would also eliminate any expensive need for selling and promoting speck and seal racing engines because it would be a cheap alternative to " you have to buy speck and seal at what ever cost stated to race".

Last edited:
edit: If you want a go fast class install and rule for a limiter which has a higher rate of engine acceleration.
If you want an entry level class install and rule for a lower rate of acceleration.
Just setting a constant maximum rate of acceleration would greatly reduce even the highest end racing engine cost because builders would only need to know specifics to meet a given "overall"rate or acceleration.

All that is needed is an electronic device which will equalize engines by controlling both maximum rpm and the rate of acceleration.

Tracks could purchase for random distribution on race day or require sealed serialized units from a specific manufacture installed.

Pretty simple solution throw what ever engine you like on your kart and it's performance will be controlled by the "rate of acceleration" and maximum rpm.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6112719

sense firing of sparkplug for input to control the firing of the sparkplug
If you can set maximum rate of increase for sparkplug firing you also will set maximum rate of acceleration.
Some engines might make it easier to set maximum rate then others.
But if everyone's using a predator engine which cannot accelerate any quicker then any other and would not be able to go beyond a set rpm, it would equalize things.
High cost engine work now is to be able to maximize the rate of acceleration or maximize it at either the top, bottom or middle depending on needs.
If you could no longer alter the rate of acceleration you would be wasting your time to build an engine to anything other then being able to meet the maximum rate of acceleration.
It is and would be simple using traction control to equalize engine rate of acceleration instead of the kart or car's rate of acceleration.

Gearing is not variable so you would still be able to best match gearing to your track but everyone's engines would all accelerate at the same rate.
Outcome or how fast a kart or car is would become totally dependent on setup, driving and weight.

edit: It would also eliminate any expensive need for selling and promoting speck and seal racing engines because it would be a cheap alternative to " you have to buy speck and seal at what ever cost stated to race".
The problem being the racer who tunes his engine to always be on the limit of the rate of acceleration.
Then optimizes his setup to take advantage of that tune
Even specifying gearing that makes gearbound leaves room for tuner to give the appearance of an advantage.

Writing rules is easy. Making it foolproof is a lot harder.

Last edited:
??? ^^^^^

Not questioning what you wrote I don't understand the first line.

I'll have to think about if an engine built to be on the line of a set rate of acceleration would have an advantage or not.
First thoughts are it would not be an advantage but being too far above the rate of acceleration might be, nawwww have to think on that too.

thanks

paul

If you limit acceleration rate to 100 revs per second, which ratio will accelerate the axle quicker, 3.0 or 4.0?

If you limit acceleration rate to 100 revs per second, which ratio will accelerate the axle quicker, 3.0 or 4.0?
I don't see where it would matter other then changing when and where on the track max rpm would occur.
Isn't that the same setup consideration it is now where you try to use up all available engine on the straight?

... or I'm still nut understanding the point your making?

The op says any engine.
For example, momentum track with 200 rpm drop for the 4.0. Axle drop is 50 .
Limiter says I can only gain 100revs/sec at the engine.

In that 2 seconds I gained 66 revs on axle with 3.0 vs 50 revs on the 4.0 ratios.

If my 3.0 engine is capable of that acceleration rate.

Assuming I'm on the rev limiter with the 4.0 and best gearing.

Last edited:
Just imagine if we were able to use different types of engines, such as any other sanctioned race in the world!!

Yea i see they added a restrictor to the inidan flat tracker . cause the yammy and hd folks were crying they were out -powered .

I don't see where it would matter other then changing when and where on the track max rpm would occur.
Isn't that the same setup consideration it is now where you try to use up all available engine on the straight?

... or I'm still nut understanding the point your making?
If I create a engine that is capable of accelerating my vehicle at the max rev per second level thru the rpm change range, but never comes near the rev limiter, is that not going to be faster than an engine which is limited by rev limiter, and/or at some point in the range by the capability to accelerate at the max level?

The only thing that will change is the need to be using the engine which best suits the limiting device, which racers will automatically gravitate to.
As an engine builder who is doing my homework, I need to be creating the next best thing on an ongoing basis, so I can sell the engine of the week to racers wanting the best.
And I can add doubt about the legality of fellow builders setups, and the occasional privateer who finds the formula to success using your device.

Sounds about like the current engine situation???

The lo206 has a Rev limiter and see how it sits in karting. The road race guys run them. The dirt karts not so much.

The real crux of this solution to equalizing engines, is either you end up limiting every engine, making the solution unpopular, because you made every engine a turd.
No one wants to go slower.

If you do not limit every engine, the possibility of making that the engine of choice because it will be similar to what the owner is used to.

Once the limiter is experienced, work will begin on optimizing an engine setup to exploit the characteristics allowed by limiting revs. Either within the spirit of the class, or with a component making the limiter think it is working.

Just how racers think.

Doesnt this make the assumption that all racers want the same performance from their kart engines?
No, It would only be for those who want to take differences in engines out of their racing.
In the past you either build your own equal to the best or go buy from who ever is building what's winning.

Back