the process

na2slow2

Moving over from open flatheads to the uas. I looked at the schedule in florida, might be able to make one race. From what I have read the application process is I have to enter that race after I apply then the process is complete. Does it matter if I enter in my home state, might not get to race do too the schedule. I would like to either race in thanksgiving thunder or grand nats. Im in for the fun and not the fame but enjoy the group of guys I have meet up in g.a. Any help would be appreciated, the kawaninja is coming soon. Also info on front brake setup would be awesome, 2012 falcon is the chassis. Thanks Kevin

Any UAS admin can sign off on your application. Basically, they are signing to let the main office know that you are a competent driver, can handle the power of a UAS kart and that you can conduct yourself in an adult, professional manner. You can sign up for any region in the country. Race at any UAS event. The only race that a membership is REQUIRED is the GN. Hope this answers your question. Good luck to you.

As far as front brakes a conserned you dont need them. There are very few people who use them with verying results. None of the front runners use them. Work on your handeling. Thats where it's at.

All of the above is pretty much correct. I will add, however, that there are some regions which require UAS membership for participation in their 1/4 point races (each region has 2 and they count toward your national total). You can't go wrong contacting the administrators of the regions you might be running in because they are a great group of people who will make sure you know what to expect.

Kevin, unless the Administrator knows you, wouldn't he want to see you race before signing off for the National? Also, I always liked a left front brake. I thought it pulled me thru the turn plus it helped keep the kart from looping. I used a little mini front brake that fit inside of the wheel. It was connected to the hub with 3 long set screws. My Sons don't use them though. We haven't made it to a Florida race yet but most all those racers down in that area are good guys and fun to run with. Your in for a good time down there. Hope to see you at the National, Steve Sr.

Thanks guys, my work schedule will not ever allow me to run a full schedule, so I will be a mutt between all of them. That's good to know about the brake, I will just get a bigger rear one. I have alot of work ahead of me to get the motor on the chassis and building a body. 1/4 inch thickness good enough on the plastic? Thanks again Kevin

Most run .187 thickness racecar type body plastic. 1/4 is extremely heavy compared to most bodies. I built one out of 3/16 and it's easily lbs heavier than my other bodies.

I think I use HDPE .100" race car plastic. Most stock car shops sell it in about 8 different colors. There are some thinner or thicker HDPE. You could also us "coroplast" which is like plastic cardboard. Sign shops sell that. It's available in a variety of sizes and colors as well. It's probably about half the price of HDPE but is not nearly as durable. Just some information for you

I'm not a fan of the stock car plastic . It distorts something fierce when the sun beats on it. 1/8" Lexan works fine for me, just use some bracing to stabilize it . There's plenty of racing available. Florida this year. You should be able to find a few to squeeze in.

I race at crossroads sometimes but it looks like I'm at work when the series is there. I might be testing some on the regular night's this summer. The rules on the lexan was not making sense to me, can I use it without having a regular body under it. Thanks a bunch I will start posting pics when I get home in March of the build. I think June will be my first race at dirt devils, its 5 hour drive

UAS rules specifically state that lexan maybe used it's posted under section E it can be used to make wedge body's and doesn't require a body under it.

I race at crossroads sometimes but it looks like I'm at work when the series is there. I might be testing some on the regular night's this summer. The rules on the lexan was not making sense to me, can I use it without having a regular body under it. Thanks a bunch I will start posting pics when I get home in March of the build. I think June will be my first race at dirt devils, its 5 hour drive

Simple answer is NO. You can't use lexan without a kart side panel to attach it to. Or other suitable side panels. And at least 4" above the bottom of that body.

Just that it can't be lower than 6" from the ground. Must have some other materia that won't potentially shatter in a dangerous manner from ground to 6".

Even though Lexan won't shatter like plexiglass, there is no way to really police the use of plexiglass, so that rule prevents some potential for danger. Most don't know the difference, let alone Lexan is just one brand name of that type of material.

Simple answer is NO. You can't use lexan without a kart side panel to attach it to. Or other suitable side panels. And at least 4" above the bottom of that body.

You are incorrect..... Almost everyone uses a Poly Carbonate (Lexan) and attaches the side panels directly to the nerf bars and it is UAS legal.

I just attach it to my nerf bar and use aluminum angle to support the upper sections. It's not difficult and I've used it in UAS racing for the past 10 years. Fiberglass shatters and splinters so let's not get carried away here.

Just stating the rule as I had read it in the past. Doesn't state what material should be used or mention anything about. Regular body beneath it. Just can't be lexan within 6" of the ground.

Just stating the rule as I had read it in the past. Doesn't state what material should be used or mention anything about. Regular body beneath it. Just can't be lexan within 6" of the ground.

It states that Lexan can be used in 'e.'

d. Body work is to be no higher than 30” from the ground measured at the center of the rear axle. It may extend back as far as the rear bumper at that height. Extended rear bumpers are permissible. Forward of that point, the side panels are to angle downward to a point that intersects, no higher than 15 inches above the ground at the center line of the front axle spuds. If a nose is to be used, it is to be no more than 15” above the ground measured at the center of the axle spuds of the front spindles. This only applies to the vertical external side panels.

e. External body skin or vertical side panels must be made from plastic or a composite material. Lexan may be used in a wedge body design in conjunction with a standard kart side panel or other acceptable side panel material as long as the Lexan is attached at least 4” above the bottom of the standard kart side panel. Sharp edges are not permitted regardless of what material is used for body work.

I never said it couldn't be used, I said it could. I thought it was 6", not 4. My mistake there. But, I never said it couldn't be used. In the quoted text where I said it doesn't mention the material to be used. I was referring to the material to be used underneath the Lexan. Not that it doesn't mention lexan as an optional material to be used. Sorry if that is way you took it.

Back