The REAL epidemic😮

1. Walk the track with the driver and talk about turn in points, when to brake and accelerate, and using the entire track. Depending on age and maturity start one corner at a time until each is mastered and expect to have to come back to a corner as they forget.
2. Review Go pro footage and discuss same topics above.
3. Review and compare Mychron GPS data to your own best laps as well as another faster driver ideally. More for you own knowledge than the young driver to be able to focus your teaching on more specific areas.

That is the approach I take working with drivers.
This is damn good advice Gary.

I have to say, if you can throw a "better" kid in the same kart and run back-to-back sessions, it helps a lot when you can then overlay that MyChron data and GoPro footage.

One thing I would be curious about is how you teach corners. Do you work from exit, then middle and finally entrance, vice versa, or do you do it all at once? I know we have been working on the infield section at PittRace and he knows when he nails the exit because he can be full throttle through righthander and up the hill, and the only way to do that is to nail the entrance two turns earlier. However, I find that if we don't start by discussing what the proper exit is first, it doesn't click even when he gets the entrance right. Hope that makes sense.

Back