Thin VS Thick tire.

SrFan3

Can anybody explain when a thick tire is required and when a thin tire is required when running Burris dirt ovals? Thanks

To keep it simple, First you must be on right compound, but cooler temps outside spring and fall on mid to lower grip tracks the thicker the tire, warm to hot outside above mid to high grip tracks the thinner the tire, a lot more details can and I'm sure will be added. like in general for 2 laps of qualifying you don't want a thick tire regardless of above, If your racing under a 33 only tire rule when track has enough grip you should be on 55's you'll want thinner tire, and a flatter cut VS a round cut. I'll stop as I said to keep it simple !!

To keep it simple, First you must be on right compound, but cooler temps outside spring and fall on mid to lower grip tracks the thicker the tire, warm to hot outside above mid to high grip tracks the thinner the tire, a lot more details can and I'm sure will be added. like in general for 2 laps of qualifying you don't want a thick tire regardless of above, If your racing under a 33 only tire rule when track has enough grip you should be on 55's you'll want thinner tire, and a flatter cut VS a round cut. I'll stop as I said to keep it simple !!
What is the benefit of a flatter cut on a high grip track?

No matter what you race if the track offers more then enough grip to handle your available hp, to be "free" and fast on the track you must reduce your tire grip to the limit of grip between your tires and the track.

If you don't the additional resistance of your tires engaging and releasing from the track will slow you down and even change how your tires are working.

It's a balance between using available grip to either carry more speed in the turns and more speed over all and/or reduced available hp or increased available grip causing you to go slower.

You got some great particulars on it from racing promoter. Prep, cut, air pressure, etc., are all done to match your tires to what the track has to offer for grip. Some times you need more grip and sometimes you need less. The great point racing promotor gave you is setting up your tires is not only about grip, it's also about how your tires will work and last even when track conditions change during the race.

It ain't easy nor simple. ... :)

Last edited:
No matter what you race if the track offers more then enough grip to handle your available hp, to be "free" and fast on the track you must reduce your tire grip to the limit of grip between your tires and

It ain't easy nor simple. ... :)
[/QUOTE
How true this is .

Back