Thoughts on D.B. Cooper......

When I left Active Service I ended up moving home after a year or two. Home was Greenwood Ms. I took work at a place called The Memphis Group. It was a company that bought aircraft that had reached their airtime limit of the aircrafts fuselage. The aircrafts where brought in to be disassembled so that the mechanical parts could be redistributed for use in the building of new aircraft or as replacement parts as needed in other aircraft.

Upon arrival at work one day, I noticed an unusaul amount of activity that was completely out of the ordinary. We had folks all over the place that should not have been there. Once inside, I ask what the heck was going on. I was imformed that we more than like about to be a focal point of a protest. A protest? For what?

Well... the next aircraft scheduled to land and be disassemble was none other than the very plane that D.B. Copper had made the jump out of. This had been kept from us employess on purpose so as to not let the cat out of the bad and have an influx of unewanted people milling around the airport and hangers. Looks like somebody on the higher up list had loose lips. Turns out most of the folks were historians that wanted the plane to be turned over to the Smithsonian.

Things were a little edgey for a few minutes after the aircraft landed but, once we got her through the hanger doors it was chop shop time!!!

It did feel weird taking apart an aircraft that had been such a unusual part of history.

Oh....And by the way.....working there is the reason I no longer fly. :eek:

Guys,

I survived the jump with some luck, I spent all the money kart racing, I now live in a van down by the river.

BDC

Back