Throttle shaft DQ

Has anyone had a throttle shaft in the carbeurator get DQ'd and have no idea how it happened? My son was DQ'd Saturday night because it looked like it had been shaved close to the plate hole. The problem is we know we didn't do that and my husband sat with our motor builder when he took the carbeurator out of the box and bolted it on. My husband actually sat with him the whole time he built our son's motor to make sure everything was legal so this would never happen to him. We talked to the carbeurator builder and he said no way did it leave his shop like that. He said they don't touch the brass and that spot wouldn't even help a plate motor. So now we are baffled. Someone did it but we have no idea who or how it was done. I attached a picture of it so anyone that's interested can see what I am talking about. At the end of the day it doesn't change the DQ but we would just like to know if we have reasons to be suspicious or if it's something that can just happen.

Attachments

• Attach29526_20190518_214944.jpg
    Attach29526_20190518_214944.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 248
Sorry for your situation.
unfortunate but yes it happens.
Its obvious its been hit with some type of tool .
Idintdoit is about all you can expect.
apparently missed on assembly .
thoroughly inspect the next one before install .

Very unfortunate but that is a clear violation of the rules. It may have came like that, who knows I mean these are cheap chinese parts. Just teach your son why he was DQ'd and be honest with him that this happens sometimes. Its the way the sport works...

My sons first big win, the tech guy wanted to toss us because his weenie pipe wasn't wrapped... luckily I was able to show him that 90% of the other kids weren't either. But it is in the rule book.

There is another side of that dq if ya want to really look at the big picture. Based on soley what I saw, that nick was not why he won the race. If the shaft passed all other techs required I would have issued a warning. If it was a regular Saturday night event, I would have kept the shaft and told him to get another based soley on the fact that it wasn't a performance gain but it isn't something that a tech wants to see on a regular basis. Now if it was a big money race, it is in every ones best interest to make sure the engine had no flaws of that nature. Just sayin

Last edited:
There is another side of that dq if ya want to really look at the big picture. Based on soley what I saw, that nick was not why he won the race. If the shaft passed all other techs required I would have issued a warning. If it was a regular Saturday night event, I would have kept the shaft and told him to get another based soley on the fact that it wasn't a performance gain but it isn't something that a tech wants to see on a regular basis. Now if it was a big money race, it is in every ones best interest to make sure the engine had no flaws of that nature. Just sayin
He said that nick caused it to not pass the minimum thickness rule. Well let me rephrase that first he said the nick caused it to fail tech and then my husband checked the rule book and saw it only mentioned minimum thickness and then the tech guy said it didn't pass that. It was a local race and my son only raced one other kid in Jr 1 so it was a very small race. We've had a lot of issues with this track and their were alot of weird coincidences Saturday night leading up to this DQ. By getting this DQ it took my son out of the points running and basically guaranteed the 2nd place kid would win the championship. We also saw the 2nd place kid's parents shaking the tech guys hand and patting him on the back earlier in the night. Their motor builder is also friends with the tech man. Overall it was just a very weird night and then to have this happen it just left us with a very bad feeling.

Last edited:
Who cares about a championship between 2 drivers......

That said, as a tech guy, I would have confiscated and/or provided a new piece with a warning. I would also have shown you the rule to which you were accused of violating as well as showing you the actual measurement / known stock part for comparison.

Nothing like local Saturday night tracks where everybody is friends with everybody but you... Been there and done that! We're low budget as it gets, not from around here and show up and race with 2 sets of tires out of the back of my truck. The first night my son straight-away'd the entire field including the track owners son, we got picked apart. Those boys with 2 new chassis in the 36ft trailer running the best of the best equipment think you have to be cheating to beat them... ;)

Back