Throwing one out there 3 inch bore

Has anyone tried boring a animal block to a 3 in bore with a new sleeve? I understand there is an oil return on the animal block that the model 15 does not have but the animal block also has a dual-bearing case any info thinking of trying a project

Has anyone tried boring a animal block to a 3 in bore with a new sleeve? I understand there is an oil return on the animal block that the model 15 does not have but the animal block also has a dual-bearing case any info thinking of trying a project

You would need to weld up the oil return to get to 3" bore in an animal.
Going with the model 15 seems like the better route. A twin cyilnder Briggs may even be a better route, depending on what you are wanting to accomplish.
Don't get too caught up in the dual bearing theory -- on the old flatheads, we had to weld up the block under the fly-side bearing to keep it from cracking. The bearing cases on the animals/206s open up after some run time already -- it's not a perfect world...A bushing on one side of the crank eliminates (for the most part) this bearing chatter and opening up of the case, thus making a stronger engine.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I've done a bunch of Model 15 motors. I get the block sleeved and use Faster Motors block support on the flywheel side with a DU bushing installed just like the old flatheads used. I typically run a ARC 6580 super alloy crank and a full 4 bearing support on the outside of the motor. I turn them plenty and they are staying together.

Back