tie rod position on spindle

sekart

hey guys... I'm curious if someone could give me the down and dirty of what would be the difference between attaching the tie rod to the hole i have marked red and the one I have marked blue in this picture.

spindle.jpg

I might try it this weekend, but have limited time between practice to qualifying thus why I'm asking instead of just doing it out of the gate. Just trying to understand how it affects the kart at either steering rate or what difference it might make on various types of tracks. I race sprint if that matters. Both tracks I race are drastically different. One is small and tight where I run a 57/15 gear. The other is fast with long sweeping turns where I run a 55/17.
Just letting you know so you might have an idea of track sizes I'm talking about. Thanks.

It will affect akerman and steering rate . A Sprint racer can give more Accurate info .
Im Going to say the red hole for the shorter tighter track.
Toe will need to be reset .

More caster, more toe in and blue hole for long track. Less castor, more toe out and red hole for short track. There might not be enough difference in the tracks to bother with unless one is 1/4 mile and the other is 1 mile. If you want to set it and forget it, go with neutral caster, straight ahead toe and red hole. Front end geometry is a finer adjustment than track widths, corner weights and vertical CG. Enjoy

More caster, more toe in and blue hole for long track. Less castor, more toe out and red hole for short track. There might not be enough difference in the tracks to bother with unless one is 1/4 mile and the other is 1 mile. If you want to set it and forget it, go with neutral caster, straight ahead toe and red hole. Front end geometry is a finer adjustment than track widths, corner weights and vertical CG. Enjoy

You're saying you change camber by just moving the tie rod in or out on the spindle ?

I didn't say anything about camber. I'm telling him where to adjust caster, toe and arm hole for different tracks. But now you mention it, camber straight up for short track and slightly negative (tilt in) for long track.

I didn't say anything about camber. I'm telling him where to adjust caster, toe and arm hole for different tracks. But now you mention it, camber straight up for short track and slightly negative (tilt in) for long track.

My bad.

Back