Tie Rods and Toe Angles

SnairB

Is the toe on a wheel controlled by the length of the tie rod or the placement of the tie rod bolt in the spindle, or both?
My spindles have 8 or 9 slots where the tie rod bolt is placed. Both the left and right are in the same spot, 2nd slot from the back.
If I want to adjust toe would I simply leave it in its current spindle slot and lengthen/shorten the tie rod or just move it to a new slot (forward to decrease toe out, rearward to increase)?

The slots most control how quick and with the amount of effort the steering reacts, once your satisfied with that adjust toe by lengthen / shorten the tie rod.

Ok.
So does the quickness increase as the tie rod is moved forward?
Do the tie rods have to be in matching slots?

Ok.
So does the quickness increase as the tie rod is moved forward?
Do the tie rods have to be in matching slots?

I've never tested it, but more forward more resistance so I would think it would be quicker reaction also. I could be wrong on that thinking, back would have more lever effect, Don't have to be but I'm sure it's recommended matching slots.

Just today I was tinkering with my Ultramax and reading their info and what they say for their karts is to put the left tie rod one hole closer to the kingpin than the right side, the thinking is that the tracks inner corner radius is sharper than the outer, so make the lf turn just a bit more than the right. As far was which holes it's a matter of personal liking. Nearer the kingpin, quicker the steering. Farther away, slower and physically a little easier to turn.

Go to Wikipedia and look up "Ackermann steering". The purpose of Ackermann steering is to turn the inside wheel a little more than the outside wheel. The reason for this; the inside wheel is turning a tighter arc than the outside wheel. If the inside wheel turns more than is necessary, compared to the outside wheel, it's just scrubbing along the ground, i.e., not rolling as good as it could.

Unfortunately, I know of no kart built in the world today with true Ackermann steering. The idea that you want to turn the inside wheel more, or less, than Ackermann would do is ridiculous, of course in my humble opinion. Not that I have any "humble opinions".

As far as moving the tie rods closer and/or further from the kingpin is just a matter of personal preference. Try them all and see what you prefer. The closer the tie rods are to the king pins, the quicker the steering and the more the effort to steer, just the opposite for farther away.

All karts steering has what I call an Ackermann effect, in that the inside wheel turns more than the outside wheel. Unfortunately, the way the mechanics are designed, they don't implement true Ackermann very accurately. Still, if the kart is handling good, you turn the wheel so little, what Ackermann affect you have, as bad as it is, is inconsequential. If you get some push, and you have to turn the wheel significantly farther than normal, the inaccuracies of the Ackermann affect steering, on most karts, show up more. It's easy to see. Turn your wheels lock to lock and see the inaccuracies of the angles of the wheels. As you turn the wheel from straight ahead, the inaccuracies become more and more apparent.

If you adjust the position of the tie rod bolt on the spindle arm, be sure to reset toe each time or you will just complicate your handling even more by throwing off the toe

Very interesting stuff.
I'm gonna set the toe to manufacturer specs.
And, I will experiment a little and see if my son notices a difference and what his preference is.

Just today I was tinkering with my Ultramax and reading their info and what they say for their karts is to put the left tie rod one hole closer to the kingpin than the right side, the thinking is that the tracks inner corner radius is sharper than the outer, so make the lf turn just a bit more than the right. As far was which holes it's a matter of personal liking. Nearer the kingpin, quicker the steering. Farther away, slower and physically a little easier to turn.
This is a very accurate answer for the question originally asked in this posting.

Back