Tight condition

When you say halfway, are you talking about a caution free race? Also when you say tight, do you mean a push or does it get physically hard to turn?

To me, that could be a result of a few things barring no chassis issues:

1 - Air pressure was too high to begin with.
2 - You didn't have enough chemical deep in the tire (wiped too late in the day) or not enough internal.
3 - Not aggressive enough with the base layer. This is typical if your top layer was aggressive to fire with and the push came after that burned off.

Could be a few things, but most likely LR is not doing enough work ending up with an overloaded RR, Could be tires are little to soft and you lose rear stagger, Could be to much camber in both front sides.
What chassis? What's you set up numbers, cambers and castor ?

What would cause kart to get tight halfway through feature? Really good the first half.
Were your tires too soft like some guys are suggesting? Do you see excessive wear?
Next obvious questions: Were all 4 tires punching the same duro and which corner did you see the most heat & wear?
...or did they just run out of prep?

Could be not enough mechanical grip in the front end as well. You could certainly be higher on the nose % and caster (depending on the track.) 4* split is more than I like to see, but some karts do well with it.
It could be that your PRW gave your front tires enough grip to overcome being off just a bit on car set-up. Once the PRW was gone, if you didn't have enough bite in the tires, it amplified the handling problem.

Most importantly, WHERE is is tight? @ corner Entry or Exit?

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

higher on nose will push MORE adding weight to a pushing front end is hurting the problem why do people recommend this??
what gets around a corner faster a 1400 lb Caterham or a fully loaded f350?
weight and downforce are NOT the same thing as you need to fight changing the direction of MASS.

higher on nose will push MORE adding weight to a pushing front end is hurting the problem why do people recommend this??
weight and downforce are NOT the same thing as you need to fight changing the direction of MASS.
I question more why you think it's ALWAYS , adding nose will not make a push worse when nose is to low in the first place, yes if you already have an overloaded RF adding can make it worse, BUT it's not always, and there is a much higher % age when someone has a push, it's an under loaded RF VS an overloaded RF, IF his current nose was 47 % plus, and cross was 67 % plus you could make your statement with more confidence, I'd say there's about a 90 % chance seeing his base numbers Brian is correct he could add nose, I'll leave you do the math what that leaves you.

Ever see a truck with too much weight on the tongue?

I question more why you think it's ALWAYS , adding nose will not make a push worse when nose is to low in the first place, yes if you already have an overloaded RF adding can make it worse, BUT it's not always, and there is a much higher % age when someone has a push, it's an under loaded RF VS an overloaded RF, IF his current nose was 47 % plus, and cross was 67 % plus you could make your statement with more confidence, I'd say there's about a 90 % chance seeing his base numbers Brian is correct he could add nose, I'll leave you do the math what that leaves you.
numbers are correct with charger. (I own this chassis and have talked to the factory and several pro's about set up) he would be better off taking that camber out of the right front and tightening the front end that way. i agree that he's probably has a prep tire issue but more often than not people suggest adding weight to a pushing front end when the physics of traction don't work that way.

Back