Tight on entry (PSI adjustment)

We are returning to the same track since we visited on 4/23/22. This is only the 2nd time visiting that location.

We were 2nd fastest in our class but our kart looked tight on entry. The fastest clones that day all seemed to enter corners with the Right Rear tire “stepping out” ever so slightly. A apex the were pointed more down the straight away than we were.

I want to test this adjustment in practice with a simple PSI tweak.

This weekend I’ll get two practice sessions. My plan for the first practice is.
LF 3.4 RF 4.4
LR 3.4. RR 4.4

What is the best way to free the kart up on entry? I’m thinking adjusting the PSI

Should I increase both rear tires equally? Should I just increase the RR? Should I adjust the fronts also? My idea is a little both.
LF 3.4 RF 4.2
LR 3.6 RR 4.8

What do you recommend?

If the numbers you last sent me are in it, lower cross 5.5 %
Same exact numbers.

I was going to go out in first practice with the same setup as before. Then 2nd practice make an adjustment.

Currently setup:
Nose: 47.4%
Left: 57.3%
Cross: 65%
Toe 1/16 out
LF Camber +0.5
RF Camber -2.63
Stagger 1.5 & 1.5

Check out this video. We are the kart in 2nd and if you notice the kart in first seems to be a little more free on entry just before reaching the apex. I noticed this on all the leading karts in the adult clone classes.

This was a Junior-non restricted class.

Click to see

What prep and how much do you use on each tire? If it were me I would adjust rear stagger to 3/4-1"

Last edited:
What chassis? Check air pressure after you come off track and make sure rr isn't gaining more than lr and rf if so thats robbing hp all the way through the corner

If its tight it’s staying on the lr obviously. If your nose is already that high id be taking cross out. Maybe up the left a tick and add some stagger. Whats odd is these pursuits are usually 63% plus on cross and at less nose so i say something else is happening.

We are returning to the same track since we visited on 4/23/22. This is only the 2nd time visiting that location.

We were 2nd fastest in our class but our kart looked tight on entry. The fastest clones that day all seemed to enter corners with the Right Rear tire “stepping out” ever so slightly. A apex the were pointed more down the straight away than we were.

I want to test this adjustment in practice with a simple PSI tweak.

This weekend I’ll get two practice sessions. My plan for the first practice is.
LF 3.4 RF 4.4
LR 3.4. RR 4.4

What is the best way to free the kart up on entry? I’m thinking adjusting the PSI

Should I increase both rear tires equally? Should I just increase the RR? Should I adjust the fronts also? My idea is a little both.
LF 3.4 RF 4.2
LR 3.6 RR 4.8

What do you recommend?
Check this out! Remember scales are just a reference point. If you scale out at 6psi and 5psi in brand new tires then hit the track with different tires and pressures your numbers have already changed.

Tight at entry generally tells me that you don't have enough rear stagger. Sure, there are exceptions (extremely long straight and tight corners require less rear stagger for roll speed on the straights than what you want for the radius of the turns,) but tight in cause lots of further issues that continue through the turn. Fix the entry (either with line, unloading the chassis with throttle....or more rear stagger.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

2022 Slack Pursuit. RR and LR psi gain was even except for the LF.
Are you running the RF spacer block?

I agree with J-remy that you were likely locked down. Probably needed a year old tire. How were the lap times from the start to the end of the race? I suspect the tire started going away and that might have actually helped in this case. I couldn't find this race on race monitor to check the leaders times. I'd guess the fast guys that night got faster as the race went on.

Are you running the RF spacer block?

I agree with J-remy that you were likely locked down. Probably needed a year old tire. How were the lap times from the start to the end of the race? I suspect the tire started going away and that might have actually helped in this case. I couldn't find this race on race monitor to check the leaders times. I'd guess the fast guys that night got faster as the race went on.
Yes we are running it.

Definitely fixed the tight on entry issue.

Had a dry slick dusty track in practice. Make significant progress and qualified P3 in Lite and P1 in ProBlue. Then they watered the track before the feature. Lite was first out after running it in. (Too much water) the setup didn’t like the water. We were really lose the first three laps and dropped back a few spots.

Then I made the mistake of over correcting to chase that new track. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Back