Tight/pushing explained

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
When someone says their kart is pushing, that's another way of saying it's tight, when someone says their kart is tight, that's another way of saying it's pushing.

In dirt oval world When someone says there pushing there turning the wheel with no results, when they say there tight kart is tightening down into the track in the turns killing roll speed. Different adjustments are required to fix plus direction you go depends On where the push is, on entry or on exit.

Ditto. racing promotot is correct with his reply.

Your post Al, which you already knew when you started this thread, only pertains to left and right turning karts and is incomplete in today's karting world. Al even in today's left right turning kart world racers also understand tight can be used to refer to a kart which is to locked down to the track.

Since you obviously because of your words do not get to races anymore then in the past, you may not know how even left right kart racers understand the full meanings of the term 'tight'.

Al you have not explained about push and tight as in the title of this thread. You have once again pushed on us your incomplete demanded use of the two words.

You and what you wrote in this thread is wrong Al. What's really bad is you knew it was wrong when you wrote it.

------------------------------------
tight:
adjective

1. 1.
    fixed, fastened, or closed firmly; hard to move, undo, or open

There was a time that the word “gay” meant happy. I don’t think you could find anyone under the age of 60 that would give you that definition anymore. Things change, meaning of words or phrases change. Ask someone 20 years old what the”pound symbol” is & then ask a 60 year old what a “hashtag” is...Al, you seem to know a lot, but your info & terminology are outdated & confusing more often than helpful....besides that you’re comparing asphalt road racing knowledge to a dirt oval community.

Al, If someone said to you the back of my kart is tight, how would you understand what they said?

6A026562-39E0-47EF-AEC1-A3E8E54241B5.png

Push is the opposite of loose.
Tight is the opposite of free. :)
The 2 terms are are just 2 ways of describing the same phenomena, you karts not handling, i.e. not turning. Example; "my karts pushing", meaning it's tight, "my karts tight", meaning it's pushing. They're not opposite, they're the same. Always meant that, even after I became senile. lol

The 2 terms are are just 2 ways of describing the same phenomena, you karts not handling, i.e. not turning. Example; "my karts pushing", meaning it's tight, "my karts tight", meaning it's pushing. They're not opposite, they're the same. Always meant that, even after I became senile. lol
No Al,
You need a balance between the two sets of terms.
Loose is oversteer, when the tail end won't stick, free is when the kart is "in the track" just right on all four wheels.
Push is understeer, tight is when the kart is "in the track" too much, slowing the kart excessively through the corner.

In common vernacular of dirt racing, tight and free are referring to the whole kart in general, where pushing and loose refer to either the front or back of the kart.
Of course, a kart can be too free, commonly referred to as "on top of the track" or "not in the track enough".

When someone says "my kart is tight" they could have just as easily said "my kart is pushing" and anybody that has raced any time at all would picture, in their head, the same thing. Both terms explain exactly the same handling situation. Regardless of what term you use, in all likelihood, the solution to the problem would be exactly the same. To me, tight means the kart is pushing, pushing means the kart is tight. Absolutely no difference.

When someone says "my kart is tight" they could have just as easily said "my kart is pushing" and anybody that has raced any time at all would picture, in their head, the same thing. Both terms explain exactly the same handling situation. Regardless of what term you use, in all likelihood, the solution to the problem would be exactly the same. To me, tight means the kart is pushing, pushing means the kart is tight. Absolutely no difference.
Which is exactly why you should not be giving any advise on the subject because your assuming everyone thinks like you.

Which is exactly why you should not be giving any advise on the subject because your assuming everyone thinks like you.
Very interesting!! I never talk down to anyone, I just assume people will understand what I'm saying, or research it, or request an explanation. Read my sig. And I never never tell anyone what they can or can't do!

Could that be because you come from the sprint world, where there's no such thing as "too much grip"?
Very interesting!! I never talk down to anyone, I just assume people will understand what I'm saying, or research it, or request an explanation. Read my sig. And I never never tell anyone what they can or can't do!
According to your sig, you might need a new theory.

Back