Tillotson 212RS vs Briggs 206?

ClarkSr

Engine folks. What's your opinion on the Tillotson 212RS vs the Briggs 206 packages. Reliability, performance, maintenance, rules, longevity, etc.
How would you feel about them competing against each other in the same class?
Looking for opinions, WITH knowledge.
Thanks,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

There are so few people that have run a tillotson even a handful of times let alone an entire season so it would be extremely difficult for anyone to make that judgement. The little knowledge I have of them is they can be a little difficult to start even just in between sessions. Reliability and price seemed fine based on what guys I know have reported. All this info is actually on the T225. I don’t know anyone that has even ran the other one. It’s been out so little no one can give you a reliability comparison.

Tillotson had a booth @ PRI this year - that's the first I've seen one of their spec engines in person.
As Gary stated, I don't think many people have had a chance to race these yet, let alone a full season on them to know how they'll stand up over time. We all know the durability of the 206 after 10 years now. The Tilly will have to go through that same test of time to prove itself. It certainly is another option at the moment, though.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The reason I ask is, the AKRA road race series made an announcement that they were going to allow the Tillotson to run with the 206's. The plan is, as I read it, is to adjust by weight as needed.
I also agree with you folks, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the performance of the Tillotson as compared to the 206. I also guess that the AKRA is concerned about the 206 availability. Not just now, but in the future as well. I completely understand that concern.
I don't personally have a dog in the fight, but I'm part of both the WKA's and the Woodbridge Kart Club's officials, and I want to learn as much as possible prior to the 2023 season start.
Thanks for your input.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Clark,

I plan on buying one and playing with it as soon as we can.

We live 10 minutes away from our local sprint track and have a season pass and onsite storage, so we can play anytime there is not an event going on.

We average 50 plus days/nights of practice and 12 to 14 Club Races a year, so we know what a Briggs LO-206 can do after six years of data and maintenance.

Will be Road Racing one as well if CES follows suit and allows it in the CIK-206 Sprint Classes.

Mike

There's very little data on the 212 at this point in terms of durability and parity . It really only just got announced with the AKRA. It does seem to be very similar to the Ducar.

The 225 is well known at this point, but the 212 is quite a bit different.

I think we'll have to see how this plays out.

Engine came today. I called Ireland to let them know. They ask me to measure the slide and it wasnt the correct one. They are sending me the correct one. They told me they were road testing against the 206 and found they needed to change it. The new slide changed the engine to be right with the 206. I will dyno both slides to see the difference.

In my opinion the most telling thing about this is can it gain traction on the sprint side. I think if it's on par with a 206 it will probably be raced at the local level without creating a new class but in larger series either regionally or nationally I don't think so. Another factor though would be can they supply the demand? We know Briggs hasn't been able to yet but I am hearing they are/will be caught up in 2023. I guess time will tell.

It has already been tested here in Pennsylvania on the road course with the 206 and over in Ireland with their testing against the 206. They had to make a slide change in the carburetor in order to keep it competitive to the 206. I am going to Dino the engine in the next couple of days. As for keeping up with demand right now, you will be able to purchase one through RLV. There is another cart shop in Florida, that is going to be a main supplier. Also, EC carburetors has made an announcement that they will be handling the engine as well.

RLV listing for motor..

1671804868031.png

Basically same price point as the LO206. The current advantage may be availability. If their durability matches the 206, they may be successful. The door is certainly open for another supplier right now.

Basically same price point as the LO206. The current advantage may be availability. If their durability matches the 206, they may be successful. The door is certainly open for another supplier right now.
A rare time I disagree with you.. I do not believe Kart racing is benefited by yet another platform. By the way is this Tilly sealed?

Mike, they said that in 2022… I don’t believe we’ll ever see engines on the shelves again. My business will die before they get caught up.
I know, they are killing the little guy. Rob and I were just talking about this last week. Distribution is extremely unfair. Fortunately I have plenty of refreshes to keep me busy, at least for a while. Then what? I have been able to stay away from clones and predators for the most part but that may change.:(

Engine came today. I called Ireland to let them know. They ask me to measure the slide and it wasnt the correct one. They are sending me the correct one. They told me they were road testing against the 206 and found they needed to change it. The new slide changed the engine to be right with the 206. I will dyno both slides to see the difference.
Dyno, if possible can you share your dyno results comparing the new T212RS compared to the LO206.

Back