Tillotson 225 from Lo206?

IRQVET

Wondering if anyone here has experimented (driven) or changed from Lo206 to the Tillotson T4 225? Did a search and I didn't see anyone talking about their experiences or making that transition. Wondering if anyone here has done it and what their thoughts were?

I want more speed, but I don't want to spend a ton; nor do I want to transition to a 2 stroke or a modified class.

Last edited:
I've driven both, the Tillotson is much faster. Last year at Charlotte Maxxis Series Race, we race similar lap times as the fastest vintage limited modified. They tested the diaphragm carburetors last year and have switched to a slide this year to make them easier to start and tune. They are still working out a few things but hopefully it will come together for next year.

Anyone here order the Tilly? Curious to see if it comes with everything or if its just the motor and you have to buy the exhaust and everything else separate?

Been considering getting one so I can be more competive at my locals since nobody runs 206. I'd still keep the 206 so I could run with those folks too.

Met a guy with a 206 that broke the seal on his kids kart and did some experimenting. Swapping out the coil didn't prefrom as he intended because of the stock springs. He said with the new coil, his motor still petered out at 6,100 and the valves would flout. Plus I'm no mechanic, so I like the idea of a stock class. I'd rather race than wrench and keep my engine intact so I can still run with the 206's. Hense why I'm looking into the Tilly 225.

Last edited:
Been considering getting one so I can be more competive at my locals since nobody runs 206.
If you tell us more about the class rules we could advise you better. Can you run a stock appearing animal? Lots of used ones floating around and stronger than the Tilly.

Currently the 4 stroke class is a HEAVILY modified Subaru class. Those folks are always braking, wrenching, and spending money out the wazoo to keep those things running. Don't get me wrong their fast as all get down, but VERY labor/ $$$ intensive. Most of them are around 18 hp. Again, that's why I was looking into the Tilly. Its off the shelf stock class motor and provides close to the power they folks have with their Subaru's. Rules are pretty wide open/ lax. Its a run what you got sort of situation.

Anyone here order the Tilly? Curious to see if it comes with everything or if its just the motor and you have to buy the exhaust and everything else separate?

Been considering getting one so I can be more competive at my locals since nobody runs 206. I'd still keep the 206 so I could run with those folks too.
I run the 228 in an open class. I ordered mine from EC Carbs. It will not come with exhaust unless specified. I'm very happy with mine although I made several changes after I got it.

If you already have a LO206, go get the SuperStock kit from Jimbo at FasterMotors.net
https://faster-motors-wi.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/206-super-stock-engine-kit
You can install it yourself to save $$, and the dyno chart shows the difference.
HorsepowerGraph_480x480.jpg

I decided to go another route and picked up an X-30 instead. Not giving up on LO206 though, just plan on running both.

If you don't want to spend a ton, why on earth did you get an X30? Piston / top end life is only around 5 hrs. on those before NOTICEABLE drop off, and potential parts failure... And the physical demands will be brutal unless you're roadracing it... They're cool engine, but about the polar opposite of the LO206...

Picked up a blue printed NOS X30 with zero hours on it for a REALLY cheap when OGP closed its doors earlier this year, so I figured I’d dip my toe in that pool, especially considering that my chassis is a two stroke chassis with an Lo206 bolted to it, so I don’t need to switch chassis’ to run both. There is a large 125cc field at my local whereas the Lo206 field is pretty non-existent. To find a decent field of Lo206’s I have to travel; which I’m not oppose to doing, but the 125cc field is local and is probably 25-30 strong and growing very rapidly as folks in 100c are begining to move upward as well.

Like I said, I’m in a unique position where I can run both pretty inexpensively as far as up front startup costs go. Costs moving forward will be much different, but I factored that into account.

Last edited:
Bang for your buck, KA100 is the way to go, IMO. The pros dip into that class, but treat it like a play class most of the time at the local levels. Supply chain has those motors $$$ though. Good luck, regardless.

I wanted the KA 100 intially, as from what I’ve heard that is the best engine package to come out in a while. But I’d run into the same issue, nobody locally to play with.

Back