Tillotson carb legality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynoDon

Although the 2019 AKRA rule book addresses the tillotson carb as an excepted carb for compition, it still must meet the spec checks that AKRA has in the rules. The tilitson PK1b carb is failing some of those checks. AKRA is in the process of designing tooling to check areas of all carbs for tech.

On Feb. 2nd Myself and a few other AKRA individuals sat down with the rep for Tillotson. We pointed out what the issues were with the pk1b carb.
Long story short, AKRA is leaning towards allowing that carb to be in the field for a short period of time.
The area of concerns are: A heavily rolled transition to the venturi. Because there are some Ruxing carbs that have a very slightly rolled edge to the transition and there is no language to protect that area ( other than no machining ) Tillotson has done a fine job of making it flow good.
The other area of concern is the .615 tech tool strikes the e- tube when checking the venturi.
Although the rule does not state we need to remove the e-tube to check the venturi, AKRA is probably going to make an update to that effect. There are also hone marks in the bore after the butterfly that make it currently out of spec as per the current written rule ( no machining allowed other than the venturi )
There is a very limited quanity available to the karting public. So limited that the total number of karters in Pa. alone would not have access to one. Because of this new style carb, I and others have been ask to design tooling to stop further modifications to the carbs that other companies may bring in for the future.
I plan on having that project finished by the week end of Feb. 16. Tillotson will be given the new tech tools to design a new carb to those specs.
Because it takes time for the process of making a carb and getting them over here for resale, the tillotson pk1b carb will be legal to use if and when AKRA posts their ruling. There will be a date when the pk1b will no longer be allowed in the field.
That date will be somewhere around August or September, when ever Tillotson has the new carb out. Tillotson has offered to do a trade in to those who are interested in getting the new carb from them. They will be making there announcement soon I think.
I know that there is concern that there are only a minimal amount of carbs available and that the carb will be identified in a short period of time to be unusable. I apologize to all of you for this situation. Feel free to call if ya want to discuss it further.
Thanks and God Bless Don Gordner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back