Tillotson experts

HL_293f it's supposed to a alcohol carb is the diaphragm and gaskets different from gas ? What makes it a alcohol carb?

Last edited:
Alky needs about 4x flow rate, so double the orifice sizes... aka bigger jets. Also, depending on the engine demands, a single pumper stack might not keep up, so a double pumper stack is used in some cases. I'm not a carb expert, though, so I'd contact Dustin at Competition Carbs or similar...

The demand diaphragm is the same either way , the pump skin and gaskets are what's different for gas , which has two plates and alky which is three plates , so count your plates and you'll know which gasket kit to get. As Ted mentioned most alky apps. would use the three plate stack which basically will supply more fuel . That carb goes way back.

The demand diaphragm is the same either way , the pump skin and gaskets are what's different for gas , which has two plates and alky which is three plates , so count your plates and you'll know which gasket kit to get. As Ted mentioned most alky apps. would use the three plate stack which basically will supply more fuel . That carb goes way back.
Yes it’s got 3 plates

Jon will know best .
You may need a different carb .
The drill pattern for methanol is quite a bit larger your tuning window will be smaller .

always willing to learn so here is my take .
I believe you could remove the middle pump stack or add one to a single stack.
there would not be any change too the carb by removing the middle stack just less pumping / fuel availability .

I just order a gas carb and I’ll send this one out to have it rebuilt I tried to remove plates but the pins are different I would have to order a different plate for it to work

The way these plates are designed, you either use the two gas plates or the three alky plates , you can't just add or take a plate away, it's a totally different stack. The gas stack will lean a carb out a little when compared to the same carb with an alky stack the extra volume, maybe fuel pressure I would guess is the reason.

Back