Tillotson Throttle Return Spring

TTCarr

Hey guys,
Not sure why it was removed, but when we swapped our HL Tilly to our new modified, the throttle return spring was removed. I have been trying to get a new one (bought 5 this time) on since the last one was bent all to hell and practically useless. For the life of me I cannot get it on there with the proper tension without it coil binding or just popping free and having to starting all over again. As some may know, it can be extremely frustrating and I’m not trying to jerry-rig anything to make sure it’s fully closing the butterfly.
Any advice for getting this back on there properly with the correct tension as it was designed, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

The spring on the throttle shaft ?
My guess would be the throttle shaft would need to be removed .
Trying too wind it on would be problematic .

remove shutter screws, pull out throttle shaft, install spring on shaft, install shaft, put spring tag in hole, or on ledge of body, twist shaft to tension up, install shaft the last 1/4 inch, while holding pressure on spring reinstall shutter/shaft.

remove shutter screws, pull out throttle shaft, install spring on shaft, install shaft, put spring tag in hole, or on ledge of body, twist shaft to tension up, install shaft the last 1/4 inch, while holding pressure on spring reinstall shutter/shaft.
That is the only way I know of also. Use new spring also.

Thank you very much. I figured that would probably be the only way, but just wanted to check. I appreciate the help!

While you have the shaft out you might want to consider milling or filing it down to increase air flow.
Depending on what type of screw is holding the throttle plate to the shaft you may want to replace it with a small button head screw.
However, make sure you don't have any rule that would prevent you from doing this.
Be careful not to make it so thin that it bends or breaks.

While you have the shaft out you might want to consider milling or filing it down to increase air flow.
Depending on what type of screw is holding the throttle plate to the shaft you may want to replace it with a small button head screw.
However, make sure you don't have any rule that would prevent you from doing this.
Be careful not to make it so thin that it bends or breaks.

I got it blueprinted from DynoCams. It looks to have had all that done already. Cant believe I wasted so much time messing with it after it was so easy following the instructions I was given.

Back