Tillotson x360 flooding

arielfal

Hello everyone,

I bought an EC Carburetor Tillotson x360 for my engine. I had trouble getting it to start. Once I did get it idling it tried to run away up higher than I was comfortable with for a cold engine.

This happened quickly. I slapped my hand over the carburetor inlet to choke off the engine instead of hitting the kill switch.

Immediately afterwards I noticed drips of fuel falling from the carburetor.

I let it dry and then tried it again. Almost immediately it flooded out the engine again. Did I damage something in the carburetor? The carburetor adjustment knobs were in the stock positions.

Any help would be appreciated!

Two choices .
Return and disassemble.
Neither what you want too do .
The inlet needle is likely stuck or possible diagram issue.
Could be foreign material , or assembly issue .

Call Mark at EC. He will get it straightened out. Really good guy. I have several of his carbs he is always happy to help. Even if you buy a used one.

Check the Pop Off pressure should be around 10 1/2 or more. and make sure when it pops that is does go down a few lbs but holds steady then. If it leaks down constantly , or will not hold pressure , since it is new just probably trash got into the needle /seat.
But remember they flow huge amounts of fuel. If you choked the engine dead by putting your hand over the carb While it is revving pretty high. Yes it will flow a lot of fuel , enough to leak out the back of the carb.
Check for a leaking intake gasket, back the idle screw out some . Make sure the throttle is closing all the way and not hanging up. Disconnect it from the throttle cable to help make sure it is closing all the way.
As for flooding the engine out . They do not idle well at all. What engine is it on???????

Check the Pop Off pressure should be around 10 1/2 or more. and make sure when it pops that is does go down a few lbs but holds steady then. If it leaks down constantly , or will not hold pressure , since it is new just probably trash got into the needle /seat.
But remember they flow huge amounts of fuel. If you choked the engine dead by putting your hand over the carb While it is revving pretty high. Yes it will flow a lot of fuel , enough to leak out the back of the carb.
Check for a leaking intake gasket, back the idle screw out some . Make sure the throttle is closing all the way and not hanging up. Disconnect it from the throttle cable to help make sure it is closing all the way.
As for flooding the engine out . They do not idle well at all. What engine is it on???????
A 212 that I have about 1k into. I let it dry out and it immediately flooded again. I have a fuel filter so I'd hope no trash would get in, and am using racing fuel.

Literally everything is brand new.

Did you buy the carb from EC? Are you running gas or alcohol?
Carbs are setup either for gas or alcohol. Assuming that racing fuel refers to racing gas, If your carb is setup for alcohol it will flood immediately.
Revving real high on Idle is not common with tillotsons. Check for air leak. Does the carb have nipple on the intake for pulse line, if so make sure it is hooked up. Idle screw, back it out some. EC suggests that you set Idle to just the point that the throttle plate just closes all the way. They will not idle at all in this position!. Make sure the Pulse hole in the back of the carb matches up with the intake pulse in the intake.
Make sure that the throttle is closing and that nothing is keeping it open. It does not take much throttle opening to make the engine really rev high..

X360-10 is for the Clone predator alcohol.
X360G is for gas clone.

Like I stated before ,CALL Mark at EC.He will know exactly what to do! But if you are racing today. Good luck!
There are a lot of other people on here that know tillotsons very well. Maybe they have some ideas that I did not suggest.
But the first thing I would do would be to check the pop off. and the make sure the throttle is closing all the way.
Starting point for needle valves, low side somewhere around 2 to 2 1/2 High side 3/4 to 1 full turn.

Read this, it is the same for gas or alcohol. by EC himself.
https://www.kartpulse.com/article/54/tillotson-ohv-gas-carburetor-tuning-tips

EC Carburetors has excellent customer service!!!!!

sales@eccarburetors.com
615.446.6807 Monday thru Thursday 9 to 5 Located in central time zone, Tennessee.

Last edited:
Did you buy the carb from EC? Are you running gas or alcohol?
Carbs are setup either for gas or alcohol. Assuming that racing fuel refers to racing gas, If your carb is setup for alcohol it will flood immediately.
Revving real high on Idle is not common with tillotsons. Check for air leak. Does the carb have nipple on the intake for pulse line, if so make sure it is hooked up. Idle screw, back it out some. EC suggests that you set Idle to just the point that the throttle plate just closes all the way. They will not idle at all in this position!. Make sure the Pulse hole in the back of the carb matches up with the intake pulse in the intake.
Make sure that the throttle is closing and that nothing is keeping it open. It does not take much throttle opening to make the engine really rev high..

X360-10 is for the Clone predator alcohol.
X360G is for gas clone.

Like I stated before ,CALL Mark at EC.He will know exactly what to do! But if you are racing today. Good luck!
There are a lot of other people on here that know tillotsons very well. Maybe they have some ideas that I did not suggest.
But the first thing I would do would be to check the pop off. and the make sure the throttle is closing all the way.
Starting point for needle valves, low side somewhere around 2 to 2 1/2 High side 3/4 to 1 full turn.

Read this, it is the same for gas or alcohol. by EC himself.
https://www.kartpulse.com/article/54/tillotson-ohv-gas-carburetor-tuning-tips

EC Carburetors has excellent customer service!!!!!

sales@eccarburetors.com
615.446.6807 Monday thru Thursday 9 to 5 Located in central time zone, Tennessee.
Thanks for the help, I talked to Mark and Carroll. They took the carb back, checked it over and sent it back to me. I reinstalled it, tried to drive down a road cruising around 20 mph and the kart was just bucking like crazy. If I rolled into the throttle it would be okay for a second. I would feather off the throttle again and it would continue bucking once I rolled back into a maintenance throttle.

When I went to slow down and come to a stop, it flooded, died, and wouldn't restart.

Frustrating, I think I'll have to look at other carb options. I quadruple checked starting needle settings. Even leaned the carb out significantly, but then it just wouldn't go at all and then would flood soon after.

Really frustrated, perhaps road racing isn't plausible on this carb.

When I came to a stop after my first test drive, it leaked out a steady stream of fuel. Probably and oz or two. The same 1/4 inch of fuel sitting in the carb throat.

Back