tilly 368a carb

tootall28

Dont kno nothing bout the carb was going to try n run it on a limited flathead. Any help would be great. Thanks

Well, it is an alky carb and the correct size for a Limited but like all the production carb's it could use a richer drill pattern for a full blown Limited, the cams are so big these days and so much duration that they need to be very rich off the bottom to transition into the midrange when hammering the throttle off the turn. Pop-off needs to be around 8 lbs with a .065 fulcrum arm height. Jon

The drill pattern is the size of the holes in the low side well that feeds fuel into the throttle bore, you get to them by removing the soft plug that covers the well. Some would say that is a lot of cam for the Limited class even though the cam builder made it for Limited and open. It will be OK but you better be prepared to turn it real hard. the carb is as big as it can be and be legal for a Limited.

If you're not sure what the drill pattern is....or IF it has already been blueprinted, send that thing off to Jon or someone else who is sharp on Tillys. Once you've messed the fuel pattern up on these things, it's nearly impossible to get them right again. They really should be matched to your complete engine package and application as well.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407

Okay thanks I might have to send it off or something or get another tilly carb that works better for my application. What would be a better carb?

Nothing wrong with that carb model as long as it's drilled correctly. The very best limited carbs I've had come through our shop were 368s.

Good deal im also needing some help on setup for thst cam it has been very rough on lifters are there some more beefer lifters out there and what manifold for that carb.

I always liked the Comp cams lifters best for limiteds . Never broke one of theirs. That 458 is pain I would put a 126 in it . A 126 races better torque curve is in a better raceable range especially went bumping and rubbing and missing a corner here and there. OMO

Cant find comp lifters there web site says there out of stock. And I was just going to use the 458 cam cause I already had it.

tootall, you need a good billet long lifter for any mod cam, EC dist. should still have some. Make sure you have the correct valve lash or clearance between the lifter and the valve and they should be fine, you also need a good set of dual springs capable of the big lift of that cam. That kind of cam is hard on valve springs, to keep it at max performance springs need to be fresh. Give me a call if you need help with the carb. 615 767 9226 Jon

Jon is awesome with Tilly carbs !! He helped me with my set-up & always returned my calls, GREAT GUY !!!! Thanks Jon !!!!

Call Dyno Cams..... It's their carb.

...... Not that EC or other's couldn't help.

348F is pretty much ready off the shelf.

-Rod

The 348F was designed for the Limited Animal, it has the leanest drill pattern of any of the 348's and has an up-pull gas shaft so it's far from being off the shelf ready for a Limited flathead. Jon

No problem Rod, ya the 360C was a good one for Limited, Abbeville, SC, that's wild, I was there over 50 years ago visiting my grandfather when it was a nothing but a small mill town, his house had no A/C just screen doors and an outhouse. There was an elevated walkway out the back to the outhouse like a boat dock except the yard was dry. I finally figured out that was so you didn't step on a snake on your way. I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it today. Jon

No problem Rod, ya the 360C was a good one for Limited, Abbeville, SC, that's wild, I was there over 50 years ago visiting my grandfather when it was a nothing but a small mill town, his house had no A/C just screen doors and an outhouse. There was an elevated walkway out the back to the outhouse like a boat dock except the yard was dry. I finally figured out that was so you didn't step on a snake on your way. I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it today. Jon

:)
:D

-Rod

Back