Tilly alcohol or gas

newjack

Got used Tilly, model HL 314e with hortsman intake for flathead. It ran very rich, so I took it apart. The gaskets were old and hard figured that was the cause. I was told many of the HL 314e were set up for alky. Now I'm thinking this was cause of running rich. I have the Welch plug off, with 4 holes two small two large, was told you can tell from holes but how? Also there's no needle valve to regulate gas , just a brass plug i removed with a 5/16 socket. It has a clear glass ball and a another ball under it. This doesn't seem to be shown in any rebuild schematic s I've seen.

Also there's no needle valve to regulate gas , just a brass plug i removed with a 5/16 socket. It has a clear glass ball and a another ball under it. This doesn't seem to be shown in any rebuild schematic s I've seen.
Might be a Grosse Jet, kind of old school. It did away with the needle and seat.

If it is set up for alky I guess running on gas ain't happening, where does one buy alky in NJ? I heard people using Coleman fuel in the gallon cans, thats used in gas stoves. Any truth to that?

It ran but very rough but gas was spitting out of carb and leaking all around carb body, but it revved up good just couldn't get it idling. Gaskets were brittle so maybe there's hope its a gasser.

Back