Time for a change carb

Chipg56

The flathead is a great little motor that served karting well for years but it is time for a change. Finding a good carb is tough and expensive, a good one costs at least $300. Eventually the $300 carb will break. Tanks are hard to find and expensive. It is time to run flattys on a different carb. Personally I would prefer the animal carb but some may prefer the less expensive clown carb. Tilly? What do you think?

I like the animal carb or something similar .
Mikuni , kehin or some knock off redaliy avalible carb .
The clone carb has a small venturi , may as well get close too .750 bore .
Simple and cheap fits the bill so clone carb fits that bill .

Man , we had this all figured out years ago. The Hl 357 with it's own manifold was very close to the stock performance, just carbureted better and was more tuneable. The powers that be at the time didn't want EC dist to control all the carbs for that class I guess. From way back that carb was a problem, a difficult tec and breakage. The little 357 solved all the issues and was cheap. It could be tec' d in seconds with a no- go gauge.

The Blue Wazoom flathead version by uncle franks, also used a carb similar to the tillotson, I think it was a zama. Bet there are some of those still out there. Seemed simple to tune and fit well with a slightly larger camshaft.

The Blue Wazoom flathead version by uncle franks, also used a carb similar to the tillotson, I think it was a zama. Bet there are some of those still out there. Seemed simple to tune and fit well with a slightly larger camshaft.
[/QUOTE
Yes, nice carb but I think a fixed jet carb like the PZ would be better so the less knowledgeable would not be overwelmed with adjustment.

Last edited:
The $300 carb deal won't go away by changing brands of carbs.
Just sayin.'
Good carbs cost more than average ones for sure.
We still have plenty of stock on new Briggs and Dixie/Chinese carbs, but you are correct, the price of Briggs tanks keeps going up every time you turn around.

I'd be more concerned about losing the few loyal flathead guys we've got if you made a carb change at this point. Most have stashes/stockpiles of parts and have worked hard for years to accumulate the parts and engines that they have. I don't see many new people coming into our sport and getting into the flathead classes - other than some kids where their tracks still offer flatheads for juniors. Most flathead racers at the local levels are hobby racers (not concerned with national level carbs and such) or are nostalgia racers from what I am seeing. At money shows or bigger events, it's still big money engines on the podium for the most part.
I don't suspect that would change one bit if we went to a different brand of carb - but it would definitely increase the price for the average flathead racer who supports his local track week in and week out.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The $300 carb deal won't go away by changing brands of carbs.
Just sayin.'
Good carbs cost more than average ones for sure.
We still have plenty of stock on new Briggs and Dixie/Chinese carbs, but you are correct, the price of Briggs tanks keeps going up every time you turn around.

I'd be more concerned about losing the few loyal flathead guys we've got if you made a carb change at this point. Most have stashes/stockpiles of parts and have worked hard for years to accumulate the parts and engines that they have. I don't see many new people coming into our sport and getting into the flathead classes - other than some kids where their tracks still offer flatheads for juniors. Most flathead racers at the local levels are hobby racers (not concerned with national level carbs and such) or are nostalgia racers from what I am seeing. At money shows or bigger events, it's still big money engines on the podium for the most part.
I don't suspect that would change one bit if we went to a different brand of carb - but it would definitely increase the price for the average flathead racer who supports his local track week in and week out.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Sure but the others don't break in half.

I never had a Briggs carb or tank break in 9 years on 6 different engines. Carb brace and tank brace. Maybe I was just lucky but have been on some super rough tracks also. I always had heard they would break so had 2 spares just in case.

I never had a Briggs carb or tank break in 9 years on 6 different engines. Carb brace and tank brace. Maybe I was just lucky but have been on some super rough tracks also. I always had heard they would break so had 2 spares just in case.
I don' think I had any break for about 5 years or so then I had many. I once had one break sitting in my shop in the winter. It was bolted to a piece of plate steel as I was trying to straighten the warped flange, (as often happens on plate motors). I was tightening the bolts a little bit once a week or so. The flange did not snap, the carb broke exactly the same as they all snap....in between the flange and the diaphragm housing at an angle. I hope your luck continues.

I've never broke one either . Stock appearing or stock for a lot of years .
A different carb would be nice for the tank aspect .

I don' think I had any break for about 5 years or so then I had many. I once had one break sitting in my shop in the winter. It was bolted to a piece of plate steel as I was trying to straighten the warped flange, (as often happens on plate motors). I was tightening the bolts a little bit once a week or so. The flange did not snap, the carb broke exactly the same as they all snap....in between the flange and the diaphragm housing at an angle. I hope your luck continues.
Yeah we only had a beginner plate so didn’t have to mess with that aspect much. Run clones now so don’t have to worry about that anymore. Like I said I had heard of them breaking and even seen a couple break at the track but I must have been lucky.

They can break, sure.
I've seen plenty broken over the years (mostly stock appearings that were bored paper thin.)
The biggest reason for carbs to break that I can tell is improper installation putting the carb in a bind.
Here's my procedure that has worked very well for me over the years:
Two bolts from carb to block first, then bolt the tank up to the carb...then STOP and look at the alignment of the lower tank mounting bolt....IF it's not lined up, then oversize drill the hole, or loosen the carb to block bolts and make some adjustment there. And before even putting the lower tank mounting bolt in, shim the tank bracket if necessary. Again, when I disassemble some engines that come in the shop, if I take that lower tank bolt out first and the whole assembly is in a bind, I know it was not assembled correctly. I've seen them where the lower tank bolt needed 1/4" shim, or that it was half a hole off side to side...of course that'll put the carb in a bind, and will eventually cause it to crack.
Then there are the "fixes."
The very worst is the carb support with the giant hose clamp around the tank. That almost invariably puts the carb in a bind. Every time I see those things come in our shop, I cringe. :)

Back