Timing an engine with no marks on cam and crank gear

First time for everything . I've got an engine called an Xingyue Xy139 - 7 (i think it may be chinese ) haaa .. a neighbor asked me to fix so i found that it had a stuck ex valve so i got that fixed but the issue is there is no markings on cam, crank gear or block casting for timing ...nothing. also it uses a single cam lobe for int & ex with rocker arm type lifters no luck on line for info . This is a somewhat new engine . went to the Xingyue website with no luck but found out they manufacture everything from spatulas to personal " happyness " products. Soo if anybody has a clue how to get this thing timed it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It's the cam timing with electronic ignition. Its a one lobe cam that actuates both valves to keep things "simple" no markings anywhere on cam gear or crank gear. If it requires every dial indacator and degree wheel known to man it's going back in a box with a Hallmark card.

This might help .
The other question is how far apart was it ?
This motor also has a one piece head and cyl . Did not take note of anything like that when i removed (actually fell out ) of the motor. This is the only motor that i have encounterd with no markings ... ever.

If it's the cam timing, both valves should be slightly off the seat an equal amount as the piston goes through TDC during overlap.
One valve going up, the other going down. Make your own marks on the gears.

If it's the cam timing, both valves should be slightly off the seat an equal amount as the piston goes through TDC during overlap.
One valve going up, the other going down. Make your own marks on the gears.
Ok thanks....i'll give it a shot as soon as my nerve calms down Thanks again.

Some of the kawaski engine i have worked on had a off collor pin in the chain . Then you either had too count or set it at a certain tooth .
Might look for one . At or near tdc .
Bob's method seems easy enough .
I was one tooth off on a flathead ran ok .
I forgot the link in post #3 , fixed that .

Last edited:
Some of the kawaski engine i have worked on had a off collor pin in the chain . Then you either had too count or set it at a certain tooth .
Might look for one . At or near tdc .
Bob's method seems easy enough .
I was one tooth off on a flathead ran ok .
I forgot the link in post #3 , fixed that .

Back