Timing w/o a Key ?....

sCREamnClones

Are you guys setting ign timing by in-the-hole piston placement and positioning the flywheel (magnet) at a specific location too the coil (leg), or...are you spinning the f/w and using a lite and degree wheel? Note: I'm 'timing' at the short-block stage. (I'm gonna try a 'no' key)

So do some engine builders not use a key. i am running a stock flywheel and a bps-2 cam and I checked it with a timing light and degree wheel and its at 22 degrees. So from searching on here it should be at least 32 degrees or more. Also i measured the coil gap and it was at .017. What would that hurt if it was like that. Yes I am gonna change it to at least .038 and maybe evern try .050. Thanks

I am not sure about the stock flywheel, but I have heard that the magnets in some of the billet flywheels can burn up a coil if the gap is not large enough due to a more powerful magnet. Also, the closer the magnet is to the coil, the greater the drag is at higher RPM's.

Your engine may run great at 22 degrees adv timing, but the real test is on the dyno I believe. It'll show you your motor putout, and experimenting with different degree timing keys to find what your motor likes best is the ticket.

Of course, my dyno is my ears. I hear it and say, "yep, that sounds good". :)

Take a stock key and file it down 0.06" to get you 10 more degrees, getting you to 32 degrees.

Also, yes, I have read on here where some folks lap the flywheel to the crank and do not use a key. There were concerns of removing it, however techniques like talc powder on it allegedly allows for easy removal. As for me, I use a key. Don't want to chance getting close to my first win only to have a flywheel slip.

The key isn't there to keep the flywheel from slipping; it is there to ensure the flywheel is properly aligned with the crank. The key gets sheared anyway when things get loose enough to slip.

Shelbys right. Lap the flywheel, clean. put a drop of red Loctite on crank and set at 32 Deg and torque it down. Ran flatties for years like that.

So do some engine builders not use a key. i am running a stock flywheel and a bps-2 cam and I checked it with a timing light and degree wheel and its at 22 degrees. So from searching on here it should be at least 32 degrees or more. Also i measured the coil gap and it was at .017. What would that hurt if it was like that. Yes I am gonna change it to at least .038 and maybe evern try .050. Thanks

It sounds as if you have a stock flywheel and stock key, 22*+/- 1 inch sounds about right on some of the clones.

The key isn't there to keep the flywheel from slipping; it is there to ensure the flywheel is properly aligned with the crank. The key gets sheared anyway when things get loose enough to slip.

I am sure you're 100% correct. I still new to all of this! Still waiting on my first win :)

Back